DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Lip Syncing and Premiere CS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/480128-lip-syncing-premiere-cs5.html)

Bryan Gilchrist June 8th, 2010 08:20 PM

Lip Syncing and Premiere CS5

Shot a music video over the weekend, but since it was at a live event, I couldn't use the track from the CD to have them lip sync to it...and, of course, they sang the song faster at the event then they did on the CD.

Anyway, I want to sync the video from the shoot to the audio from the CD.

So far, my options that I see are:

1. Tediously time-remap every part of the song where the lead singer sings, tweaking the speed of each section time and time again.

2. Spend $350 on Twixtor.

Is there another way in Premiere CS5 to lip sync, or are these my only two options?

I just shelled out $1,800 to move over to CS5, I really don't want to have to spend another $350 if I don't have to.

Robert Young June 9th, 2010 02:01 AM

Tough problem
First choice: What I would try is to adjust the speed of the CD audio track.
If the live band is keeping steady time on the song- say 120 bpm, and the CD track is 115 bpm, I would adjust the CD track speed to 120, slap it on the timeline & see if any tweaks are needed for actual lip synch on the close ups. Unfortunately, even a couple of frames off can be noticed.
I would do it with Adobe Audition and the Audio tools in PPro.
Important to change the duration while holding the pitch steady.
My last choice would be to try and tweak the video clip speeds- that gets into a lot of work
It could get tedious, but is doable IMO. Worst scenario is if the live band does not keep a steady beat
Good luck :)

Paul Newman June 9th, 2010 03:09 AM

I do this all day, everyday, with Jazz and classical musicians and singers - much tougher than rock - I have to leave the master audio as, my record company clients want the true master sound bed from the CD completely in tact.

So, I have to work on the pictures - first you need to have shot with 50i or 60i and not progressive, otherwise vari- speeding the video looks awful - then match the takes to the music as close as you can, doesn't have to be always perfect, but close.

Cut up you main singing sections to match the track and pull each one to be as close as possible, then mark and pull particular words into position - for this I found Twixtor a pain in the butt - so I use the time re-map in Edius which is fabulous for this work - it allows you to mark and pull in single words very easily -you can download a free 1 month trial - should be long enough to edit one promo.

I don't like the slo-mo results in CS5 nor for that matter in AE CS5 either, I find Edius far superior. If you shot with progressive.... maybe you have to add an "effect" to get over the frame blending that results from this process.

all best and good luck

Paul

Bryan Gilchrist June 9th, 2010 07:15 AM

Speeding up the audio isn't an option, unfortunately. They sang it faster, but weren't always on beat.

I'll have to check out Edius a try.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Bryan Gilchrist June 9th, 2010 08:38 AM

Played with the time remapping feature in Edius, and it's very nice!

Premiere needs something like this!! (hint hint)