Premiere or Media Composer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 1st, 2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Premiere or Media Composer?

My Avid Liquid, which was the best editing software ever IMO, is now officially EOL. Anyway, I am trying to make a decision on which software to edit with. I own Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere but don't edit with either but I did try Premiere years ago. I will have to spend a good deal of time learning but I really don't have the time to invest learning both right now. I would love to hear what the people editing on Premiere think. I have about a week before my new computer comes in and would like to make an informed decision. I do use After Effects quite a bit so the Adobe integration may play a part in my decision. I will probably post a similar message in the Avid forum hoping to get people who have edited on both. Thanks.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I suspect that the close integration in the adobe family package is enough to tip the balance.

I spent ages a couple of years ago at one of the shows, doing the AVID stand presentations (I had an old Avid installation on a elderly computer) thinking yes - this was for me, until I went next door to the FCP stand, when FCP was the obvious choice, only to then swing to Adobe after their presentations - after two or three circuits, I left confused. In the end, the multi-cam demo presentation did it. It worked in a way I liked, and the material they were using as demo was similar to what I wanted to do myself. Obviously, there are some things Premiere doesn't do (but I only usually discover this when reading forum topics!)

I was never a Photoshop fan, finding it difficult and awkward, but once I had it sitting on the machine, it seemed silly to not put the effort in to learn it, and I now use it as my image manipulation software of choice.

I doubt very much if the tiny differences between platforms are really that critical. All that is important is that it can do the workflow in a way convenient to you - and I never get upset any longer by the endless topics slagging each other alternative off.

I suspect Avid and FCP would do what I want, but being able to open a graphic image direct from the timeline, tweak an audio clip or process in after effects directly saves me plenty of time - although it does produce odd results if you don't name things properly - it's very annoying to have done a bit of tweaking and then have to do it again on a similar clip, when with a bit of thought, the in between state could have been saved and then with some clip replacements, used again!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I suspect Avid and FCP would do what I want, but being able to open a graphic image direct from the timeline, tweak an audio clip or process in after effects directly saves me plenty of time
That's exactly what I was wondering.
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Wow, so nobody has an opinion on the NLE they use?
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #5
Trustee

What do you expect?

Ask Edius users about Edius, Avid users about Avid, Adobe users about Adobe, etc. and what do you think the outcome will be?

Well, I bought it and I hate it, but I don't want to change or I like it and it does what I want.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes Harm. I expect to be able to ask somebody about a piece of software they use and hope for an honest answer. I'm not so hung up with the software I use that I wouldn't be able to tell someone about the pros and cons. I also base my decisions on the strength of the user base (i.e. forums) of a particular product before I purchase.
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Rob,

I wish I could help you. I'm a Liquid user too, and really like it. I went with the Avid Liquid to Media Composer deal purely based on economics. There was no way to upgrade to another professional level editor at a price point anywhere near that deal. It was TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS off! The box came last week with MC, and all the other software in the bundle.

In our regional videographers organization, there are pro's using Avid, FCP, Premiere, Edius, Vegas and they all do the job. I checked them all out. I didn't like any of them as much as I like Liquid. For that reason, I will continue to use Liquid for the foreseeable future. I'm also learning Media Composer now that I've bought it. When I find that I can do a certain kind of project I do more efficiently using MC5 than with Liquid, I'll switch over. Projects that Liquid does better, I'll keep using it.

Some projects I'll probably use both. They are just tools in the toolbox. Like any tool, cost plays a major factor in running my business. Good luck. Even if cost were no object, well, I can't even imagine cost not being an object. Just my 2 cents.

Oops, sorry. I just saw in the Avid forum that you own both already. Well, you just have to try them both yourself to see which you like best yourself. What someone else likes best, you might not. Hardly anyone I talked to in our videographer's group had any liking for Liquid, but Liquid suited ME. Not everyone works the same way.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; July 5th, 2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: add comment
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Roger.
Old July 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Well...I suppose my name on the post will imply the conclusion.

I think that Premiere Pro deals with so many kinds of graphics so much better than anything else available, that if you do a lot with GFX, this is a worthy consideration.

I think that PPro's issues are as much from it not being featured like Avid ...or FCP, (which is the center and namesake of the product suite) as it is from any actual issues. I know there are people who have had issues with CS4 and certainly third-party support was dicey for that version, but I edited a lot of material on even CS4.

I think a full-time editor is less interested in "Script to Screen" messaging (which seems to principally lift up how Premiere Pro interacts with the other software as opposed to how you use it day-in and day-out to actually cut), than they are in a product that seems to have more focus on editing specifically. I think as long as Premiere Pro is positioned as the "mortar" in the Production Premium product, it will remain difficult to gain traction against rivals that appear to be the center of attention for their respective manufacturers.

All that said, the Mercury Playback Engine is putting Premiere Pro on the map in several areas of the industry where PPro has traditionally had difficulty winning hearts and minds...but it's finally a feature that is uniquely Premiere Pro's...and that suddenly moves the focus.

We'll see how it all goes...I've used Premiere/Premiere Pro for about ten years...been through the challenges and the advancements...seen competitors both leave Adobe behind, and be left behind by Adobe. At the end of the day, you need to use what makes sense to you.

I thought the suggestion to do a short project in a couple packages and see which seems more intuitive to you was a good suggestion
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Major Player

I appreciate the feedback Tim. I agree with some of your points. I used Avid Liquid for years and never thought it was marketed correctly. I don't care about the name, I need something that doesn't crash all the time and speeds up my work flow. I think the idea of editing a couple of projects is a good one but I don't have the time. If I had given Liquid only 1 project, I probably would have went in another direction. To be fair, I feel you would have to devote at least a couple of months learning the ins and outs before you could really know which product was better. Due to the fact that I use After Effects and Photoshop regularly, use Soundbooth occasionally and want to learn Encore, it may be advantageous for me to start out with Premiere and see how it goes. With the 64 bit and Mercury engine, it may be a game changer.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite