Help, perplexing freeze problem in PPCS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help, perplexing freeze problem in PPCS4

Hi all
I am experiencing a perplexing problem when using Premiere Pro CS4 on my work laptop. It's a Dell Latitude E6500, intel 2 duo, T9900 3.06ghz, 4 gb of ram, windows xp pro, 250 gb hard drive about 75 percent free. I'm running PP4 4.2.1

With AVI files captured by PP4 from my Sony V1U, the source and program monitors will sometimes not respond. I hit play button and - nothing. I don't get any error message, no "premiere pro is not responding." The monitors simply refuse to play. Or I will be playing a clip, stop it and then go to start it again and - nothing. I cleared the cache thinking that would help and it didn't. What I've been having to do is simply open and close the program multiple times until the monitors finally work again.

I first encountered this problem several months ago. Then it mysteriously went away and now it's back. It is particularly annoying when it occurs on deadline. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not sure if this is indicative of a software or hardware problem - if it's a software problem I'm on my own since our IT department doesn't support software. Help!!!
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Trustee

The hardware problem is that your disk setup is below minimum requirements. The software problem is that your system is very likely polluted with all kinds of stuff, as happens on every system.

Clean your system, tune it and add at least 1 or better 2 eSATA 7200 disks.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Harm

I'll pass along the suggestions to our IT department. I might be able to get them to flush the system of unneeded bloatware, but anything that costs money to fix will most likely get me a "live with it" response.

I try not to involve IT too much when I have problems...Premiere was flaking out on me one time and when I called IT about it, the guy asked me "What's Premiere Pro?" I ended up fixing the problem myself.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite