DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adjusting volume in seperate channels (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/481827-adjusting-volume-seperate-channels.html)

Marc Brackhahn July 13th, 2010 01:04 PM

Adjusting volume in seperate channels

After the ceremony the groom went outside to watch some Mariachis. The Groom's wireless mic was still on and he walked out of range causing alot static with intermittent Mariachi music in the L channel. I had a shotgun mic on the other channel (R). I just need to adjust the volume in certain places on the wireless mic channel (L). I have searched the internet for 2 days looking for the right answer and couldn't find it. I can't be the only person that has ever had this problem. Anyway, can anyone explain how to use key frames on the left audio channel ? Thanks!

Ann Bens July 13th, 2010 02:41 PM

If the original clip is stereo select clip in the Project Window, go to Clip/Audio Options/Break out to Mono.
That will give you a seperate left and right channel.

Paul R Johnson July 13th, 2010 02:53 PM

The simplest way is to NOT try to do it in the timeline. Highlight the clip in the project window, then go to clips, down to audio options - then select breakout to mono. You will then find the two channels appear in the project window as two mono files. They're not linked, so you just need to drag them into the timeline. I tend to leave the stereo track, then add just the one I want for a special effect, and then it appears as a mono track in the audio mixer. If I'm editing material with two very separate tracks, not stereo, then I bring the video in as usual, unlink it, and dump the stereo track, then bring in the two breakout tracks separately, set the start points to sync them, then link them. Then you can pan either of them to anywhere in the stereo image you want.

The other way to do it is to go to the clips again, down to audio options and this time select source channel mappings. If you then select track format mono - then when you bring in the clip, it appears as two separate mono linked tracks. I don't do it this way myself but for some kinds of work it's easier.

Marc Brackhahn July 13th, 2010 11:10 PM

Is there a trick to getting the L and R channels on the timeline. I tried to add them to audio track 2 and no go.

Paul R Johnson July 14th, 2010 02:06 AM

you cannot drop mono files onto stereo ones - so drag them to the empty space below the tracks, and a new mono trackspace will be created.

Ann Bens July 14th, 2010 12:50 PM

This will drop your audio to the bottom of the timeline.
Another way is to right click on the left side of the timeline and Add Tracks.
There you can select the number of track, the placement (e.g. after Audio 1) and type of track (in this case Mono)

Marc Brackhahn July 14th, 2010 10:33 PM

Thank you for the tips!