I/O solution for CS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 14th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I/O solution for CS5

I am just wondering what people are using to be preview on an external monitor and do CC with CS5. any help or advice will appreciated. I am looking at BMD or Matrox Mxo2 mini..

Thanks for your time..

Last edited by Khalil Ismail; July 15th, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
Khalil Ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

wow

91 Views and no answer. Just wondering no one uses external monitor for previewing & CC with Premiere CS5. I would like to buy something that works and what best to know what other than users. Sales persons try to cover the Sh...............with a snow the snow will melt fast and I do not want to be stuck with you know what. Please advice.. Thanks
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Lack of response might be due to CS5 still being relatively new and requires new drivers for most of the hardware folks used for external monitor display under CS4.

With CS4, I used a Matrox MXO-2 Mini with an hdmi feed to a Sony 26" Bravia HD tv. The Mini enables calibration of the external tv so as to get pretty accurate color. Unfortunately, the version 2.1 drivers did not work with CS5 nor did the version 2.2 drivers that are for Avid MC5 only. Matrox released the version 3.0 software earlier this week. It seems to work pretty well for me. The limitations that I've found are: (1) so far, you can't run the Mini with both MC5 and CS5 because each program uses a different version of the Matrox software; (2) there seem to be some issues when using Cineform sequence presets with multi-cam sequences (though I do not know if those problems existed prior to my installing the new Matrox drivers with CS5); and (3) the multi-cam monitor/window (the one with the four streams of windows) won't give real time playback when you run four streams of native AVCHD. (But, no problem if you convert your AVCHD streams to Cineform.)

For comparisons to other systems. I'm using an I7/920 -GTX260 system running CS5 Production Premium under Win 7. The multi-cam issue took me a while to figure out. When using a Matrox sequence preset for a multi-cam sequence, I have no problem with real time playback from the timeline & program & source monitors, but cannot get it in the four windows of the multi-cam monitor when running more four native AVCHD streams in a multi-cam sequence. Hitting the play button in the multicam window/monitor results in all four streams appearing horizontally squeezed with some serious vertical banding and then everything grinds to a halt. So the workflow for multi-cam editing of four streams of AVCHD is to either: (1) sliding the cursor on the main timeline (where the four multi-cam streams move in the multi-cam window) and just hitting play for the timeline/program monitor to check the work or (2) if I want to edit using real-time play in the multi-cam window (that is, hitting the play button in the multi-cam window and just clicking on streams as they play), I have to use an Adobe AVCHD sequence preset which means no external display while I do the multi-cam edits with that window. This problem only occurs with 4 AVCHD streams in the multi-cam timeline. With HDV and other streams, no problem and so far, everything else seems to work as advertised.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Do you HAVE to have separate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil Ismail View Post
91 Views and no answer. Just wondering no one uses external monitor for previewing & CC with Premiere CS5. I would like to buy something that works and what best to know what other than users. Sales persons try to cover the Sh...............with a snow the snow will melt fast and I do not want to be stuck with you know what. Please advice.. Thanks
When I ran CS2 on a Matrox Parhelia card, I had a fine preview, full screen monitor, but it was only for preview and was idle in any other application. In researching the move to CS4 (now CS5) I concluded most users just had a second monitor with the desktop streching over both and they undocked the preview pane then scaled it to fit the righthand pane. No - its not pixel perfect to put a 1920 across image on a 1920 across second monitor since it is scaled down a bit to allow for shuttle controls on the bottom, but playback is never quite as sharp as the finally encoded project is anyway. When PremPro is NOT up, then you have more real estate for photoshop, bridge etc.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thank you Both for your reply
Jay. Thanks for the detailed answered.It was not lack of respect to this form. I was just wondering with all the views, someone will share what or how they are using CS5, knowing it lacks I/O solution. I have been trying to find which direction I go. since I am kissing my Matrox RTX2 goodbye. I have not had such smooth edit and playback like CS5, I am very happy. just needed to get the best solution from actual users Experience with Matrox Mini or BMD since these are the solution I know about unless there is something else I am not aware off. Thanks again for your time.
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil Ismail View Post
I was just wondering with all the views, someone will share what or how they are using CS5, knowing it lacks I/O solution. I have been trying to find which direction I go. since I am kissing my Matrox RTX2 goodbye. I have not had such smooth edit and playback like CS5, I am very happy. just needed to get the best solution from actual users Experience with Matrox Mini or BMD since these are the solution I know about unless there is something else I am not aware off.
There is AJA... I use a Kona LHi and a I/O Express. CS5 drivers are ready to go for those solutions.

As the software gets stronger, there are less and less I/O solutions that are actually "accelerators" like the Axio products used to be. AJA's solutions are known to have very clean signal quality.

BlueFish 444 still makes high-end I/O cards for Adobe...
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Tim

Thank you Tim fro your response, I appreciate it very much. I will look into all although some fall out of my price range.So far far out CS5 is great with adding any other hardware.. not a single crash. Just waiting to see what is best for I/O to an external monitor fro color correction. Thanks again to all
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Trustee

Khalil,

There is a great article over at provideocoalition.com discussing Premiere CS5 and monitoring. Basically, it says that Premiere CS5 is the first NLE that can output YUV to RGB real-time and combine that with a high end LCD and you don't need a pro I/O card/device. In another article there, the author discusses the need for the LCD to be calibrated to Rec 601 (SD) or Rec 709 (HD) in order to provide any sort of accurate color - this is something that no I/O card/device can do.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Many Thanks Steve

I will check this article right now. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Read one article and he refers to other articles that Will keep me busy learnimg more about different solutions

Side note: any one has any experience or know much about this product : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

Last edited by Khalil Ismail; July 29th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Trustee

Khalil, if you have the budget, the 20" JVC with HD-SDI is only $2000 at B&H which is an AMAZING deal - it used to be $3500. As you will see in those articles, the author likes the high end JVC LCDs partly because they have a Rec 709 preset.

There is another thread around here where someone mentioned a new NEC LCD that has several gamut presets (including 709) which is about $1200. The LCD might have a 10 bit display but I don't see how NEC is able to provide a quality 10 bit display $800 less than the nearest 10 bit competitor (Eizo CG243W). I have not mentioned it before because LCD display technology just doesn't move that quickly. Only 3 years ago the HP Dreamcolor was released and it was the first affordable 10 bit LCD capable of serious color grading and was $3500. Then last September, the Eizo CG243W was released at $2400 - now $2000. I purchased the Eizo because its newer and doesn't have all the requirements of the HP (must have Progressive & RGB in order to enable its 'Dreamcolor Engine').

As far as I/O devices, I highly prefer Aja because most software is supported such as Cineform whereas that MOTU does not work with Cineform.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thank you very much for your advice and input. I will look into all of this and see what I can afford or wait a bit and make sure I have enough money to buy the right product. again many thanks
Khalil Ismail is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite