Export from Premiere to After FX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Export from Premiere to After FX

How do I export small clips from the Premiere time line to After FX then back again in CS5? I read a tutorial but it was kind of old and didnt work.
Brian Jeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Major Player

You have a bunch of options:

From PPro to AE:
1. Copy the clips in PPro, and then paste them into a Comp timeline in AE.

2. In AE "Import > Premiere Pro Sequence". It will come in as a new AE comp, and you can edit the whole sequence from there.

3. In AE "Import > Dynamic link > Select a PPro sequence". This method imports the PPro sequence and puts it as a single layer in a Comp. You can make changes to the edits in PPro and then when you go back to AE, you'll see those changes reflected in that dynamically linked layer.

4. Export a file from PPro and then import it into AE

From AE back to PPro:
1. Export the Comp to uncompressed video, or an image sequence, and import the rendered file into PPro. Put it in a new layer above the original footage.

2. Import, via Dynamic link, the AE comp. You will be able to see a low resolution preview of your AE work, and when you are ready to export a final video you can hit "enter" to render the AE comp inside premiere.

Beware though. In CS4, which I am still using, you can only really get away with importing one Dynamic link AE comp per project. If you import more than one, PPro gets confused with file paths and randomly assigning AE comps to different dynamic linked files.
Also, playback and stability aren't really at the level you need to be able to edit smoothly.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks! I will definitely give these options a try and see what one works best for me!

Thanks,
Brian
Brian Jeffries is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite