DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS5 extended (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/482351-cs5-extended.html)

Allen Minor July 24th, 2010 05:08 PM

CS5 extended

I'll be upgrading to CS5 and probably the Extended version (I know very little about the extended version other than you can get 30% off if you purchase it at the same time you purchase CS5). My question is this: I use Final Cut Pro for editing and is acquiring the Extended version of CS5 a good idea or is it a bad idea, i.e., is this going to be somewhat redundant, or can the Extended version take the video to a higher level and would be a good addition.

Craig Seeman July 24th, 2010 07:23 PM

I think on of the big difference between Photoshop CS5 and CS5 Extended is 3D and 3D Animation.
I'll be upgrading from CS2.

In my hunting, Adobe really doesn't do a good feature comparison between 5 and 5 Extended.

It still not my ideal 3D text tool. I still miss Specular LogoMotion for quick animated 3D text with logos.
I've used Zaksworks in FCP but it's not quite the same simplicity and I think it's missing some features I remember from LogoMotion.

Craig Seeman July 24th, 2010 07:32 PM

I found this CS5 / Extended feature comparison list.
Photoshop CS5 or CS5 Feature Comparison | Points in Focus

Steve Kalle July 24th, 2010 09:56 PM

Allen,

I don't understand what you mean by 'Extended' version and getting 30% off when purchased IN ADDITION to CS5. Only Photoshop has an 'Extended' version, which adds 3D capabilities. You can only purchase Photoshop as either the standard version or extended version.

AFAIK, the new 3D text tool in Photoshop CS5 Extended only integrates with After Effects CS5.

This thread should probably be moved to the Adobe forum in order to get better responses.

Allen Minor July 24th, 2010 10:33 PM

Steve:

I'm upgrading from CS2. I can get the standard upgrade price for CS5; however, they offer you a choice of a 30% discount if you wish to purchase the Extended. I'll be editing in Final Cut Pro with the EX-3 and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend whether it is worth paying extra for Extended if Final Cut Pro, or any of the other programs in Final Cut Studio, can do just as well? Adobe Premier may be able to do that but I'm not using that program.

Steve Kalle July 24th, 2010 10:44 PM

Ahhh, ok. Looking at the feature comparison, this is probably important "Motion-based content editing" which is only in Extended. This means you can bring video into PS and add effects, text, etc...

Craig Seeman July 25th, 2010 07:47 AM

B&H sells CS5 for about $650 and Extended for about $940
The upgrade to CS5 is $189 and going to Extended $345

I'm not quite sure where you get 30% but it seems worth the extra $156 to get Extended given that it's a $290 price difference on the full version. In effect the upgrade to Extended is just a little more than the price difference between the full products. In fact B&H charges $340 to go from CS5 to Extended so the time to jump is when you're upgrading from an earlier version.

Pete Bauer July 25th, 2010 09:17 AM

He gets it from Adobe. They have a variety of similar 30% off enticements for the purchase of a second product through their online store.