4:3 to 16:9 without letterbox at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

4:3 to 16:9 without letterbox

is there a way to convert 4:3 footage to 16:9 without using letterbox and without making the footage look like crap in premiere? If there is a way to do it in after fx I can run it through there also.

Thanks
Brian Jeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Yes, but your wife will not like it. Stretch the image horizontally and let your wife be the judge of whether that becomes her.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

haha. Thank god im single. i will give it a try and see how it looks. if its that bad I will just run letterbox.

The only reason I ask, the website I am putting it on has their video player set to 16:9 dimensions so there will be a pilarbox effect in the video player and the site owner doesnt like that look. But this is only one of two videos with the 4:3 problem. The rest were filmed in 16:9
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

is there a way I can edit the whole video with letter box enabled. Then Run it through after fx and just crop out the black bars and expert the video in 16:9? The original video dimensions are 720x480, the video player on the website is only 525x326 but that includes the video control bar. So I think that would work if it is possible to do that
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Drop the 4:3 in a 16:9 project and scale it to fit without distortion. This means you will loose the top and bottom of the video. You do however can manupilate the horizon (position up and down) to get a good composition.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Trustee

Correct Ann, but you lose quality and vertical resolution by scaling up.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

never mind what I originally typed. Harm answered me.
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes, but it seems to me that in this case there's no need to scale up if ultimately the required resolution for the website is lower than 525x326.

Edit and export your video in it's native SD NTSC 4:3 format.
Find out the exact resolution the video's going to be on the website (without the player's control bar ect.)
Import the 720x480 render into After Effects, make a new composition from it, change the composition's size to the required lower resolution. Now you can follow Ann's suggestion but you will be downscaling instead of upscaling.
Don't forget that web video has a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio while NTSC DV does not. So make sure your Composition Settings/Interpret Footage settings are set up correctly in after Effects, otherwise you may unwittingly introduce stretching.

If you're concerned with getting the absolute best quality, Avisynth will give you a better resize/crop quality, but After Effects is easier and quicker and the quality difference will most likely be hardly noticeable.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Now thats the answer I am looking for! Thanks Jon!
Brian Jeffries is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite