Unintended tilt/slant to my video..HELP !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 1st, 2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Unintended tilt/slant to my video..HELP !!

In short: (I hope this makes sense)

Yesterday, I filmed a preacher making a presentation from his pulpit and thought I had the bottom of the shot framed & exactly aligned horizontally with the broad part of the pulpit so that the footage hopefully would be level, straight & even.

Well, it turns out that my eyes need help because when I looked the video onscreen after importing it into my PC it had axis and tilt issues!

Lesson learned: One can never totally rely on the accuracy of a camcorders small 2.5 inch LCD!!

So, I am perplexed how to salvage this shoot which took a lot of time,energy and effort as I sure don't want to broadcast this material with the main segment being "crooked" where the content is tilted at slight angle.

How to I fix the picture orientation (or whatever terminology I should be using here) so that the presentation will be straight, flush, perfectly horizontal and even as it is normally?

Had a bad day yesterday. Hope this can be rectified.

Please help.

Thank you!
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Put the clip in your source window. The effects control panel or tab should appear. In it is Motion > Rotation. Set it to what you want and you should be Golden.
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I had the same thing happen to me recently. Simply rotate the image as needed. This will cause some black areas ro appear in the 2 corners that are no longer aligned with the edge, so you will need to scale it up a little bit. Depending on how bad your angle was (how much you had to rotate to fix), you shouldn't have to scale it very much. Other option is if yuo shot HD, you could drop it into a SD timeline and adjust it as needed with less quality loss than scaling it up.
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Adam,

Thanks for the solution. It turned out I was only 0.5 degrees off from being horizontal however it still caught my attention & bothered my eye!

To all: was wondering how to deal with the black spaces. Can I crop them somehow so that things are even & uniform? I've never scaled and if I do, (assuming I knew how which I don't) doesn't that stretch out the image?

If I could just shave off a smidgen of black off the sides from this clip it would work just fine.

Can one do that with a clip on the timeline nestled between others?
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Major Player

The only way to get rid of the black is to scale the footage up to probably 103% in both ways.
Scale is under Motion in the Effect Controls.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite