Premiere Pro (erroneous?) Pixel Depth Reporting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro (erroneous?) Pixel Depth Reporting

Does anyone know why ppcs5 seems to always report a pixel depth of 32 bits?

For example, I have a clip in avc-intra100 which is a10 bit codec, yet the properties for the clip reports a pixel depth of 32. Doesn't 32 imply 8 bits per channel?.

If I import a 16 bit psd still, or a numbered 16 bit psd sequence, the clip properties still reports 32 pixel depth.

And dpxs? 32 bit pixel depth!

It seems that ppcs5 reports EVERYTHING at 32 bits. Is this a reporting bug, or is there something that I am missing?

And while I'm at it, why does ppcs5 choke when I try to import 16 bit tiffs which the documentation clearly states that it can?
Tara Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Do you have maximum bit depth checked?

PPro works in 32 bit float...
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi. My understanding is that ppcs5 works in 32bit float for effects if you are careful to stick to 32bit effects. But that is not what I am asking...

To rephrase, if I have a project bin full of assets, then how can I go through those assets to verify the pixel depths? I'm currently trying that by selecting a clip and then viewing "properties". But even known assets which vary from 8 bits per channel to 16 bits per channel are all reporting a pixel depth of 32. And I would like to know why...
Old August 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Major Player

The Video Road: Understanding Color Processing: 8-bit, 10-bit, 32-bit, and more
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Major Player

She's not asking about effects...sorry, earlier I was trying to type and dash...

(sigh) I do know that there is unfortunately a late discovered bug that they're working on with AVC-Intra...it loads as 8 bpc...they know about it...as far as I know they're working on it.

That said, I'm not sure why it's happening...but i can verify that I have it here...10 bit CineForm files and 16 bit Photoshop files all come up as 32. I assumed it meant 32 bit float because Premiere doesn't really have a 10 bit or 16 bit mode...it goes right from 8 to 32 bit float when the max bit depth is checked...but I suspect it means (3) 8 bit channels plus alpha from what I see here...

I'll be pinging some Adobe folks tonight on this...like you, I'd like to know if the reading is off, or is it the importer...

I just LOVE new software...
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kolb View Post

(sigh) I do know that there is unfortunately a late discovered bug that they're working on with AVC-Intra...it loads as 8 bpc...they know about it...as far as I know they're working on it.

I've been using avc-intra100 for its 10bit capability... Oh well, it's still just an 8bit world. Glad to hear that adobe knows about this and that they are working on it. When you ping your contacts you might also mention that it appears that ppcs5 cannot import a 16bit tiff. The documentation says that it can, but I cannot figure out how to do it.

My workflow involves avc-intra100 files, dslr files, and tiff numbered stills. I'm working around the tiff limitation by converting all those 16bit tiffs to 16bit psds. But now I'm a little bit worried since I cannot verify any pixel depths after importing my media. I have purchased Premiere (in fact the premium bundle) on its promise that it can function at pixel depths greater than 8bpc.
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Major Player

No...it's not an 8 bit world... Adobe just has a few bugs like most other software, though I'll admit that this one is rather huge...

Premiere Pro's capability to work in 32 bit float is still important and it is a part of my workflow certainly...

It appears the read in the properties panel is UI only...not actually indicating a failed import. I seem to be fine with my 10 bit CineForm files and 16 bit DPX files...and I just tried a layered 16 bit Tif and a flattened 16 bit Tif...they all come in for me.

Maybe you could furnish some details about what the problem manifests itself as and get me a file to try somehow?
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Trustee

I just tried a 16 bit Tiff and it did NOT import for me either. The file is from here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-vid...ml#post1557264
In the last post, you can download it.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Major Player

That 16 bit TIF is a grayscale file...it is a little wonky, but you do need to have 'max bit depth' and also checked 'max render quality' and have a timeline that is uncompressed 10 bit.

It did load for me, but PPro didn't know what exactly to do with it.

16 bit TIFs I export from Photoshop all work without an issue...
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Also 16 bps DPX file sequences that I render out from AE seem to load without issue....
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Major Player

OK...

Apparently I can load the 16 bit TIfs because I have a kona card and that software is likley handling it...because Adobe says PPro only loads 8 bit TIFs.

I looked at the software documentation and it does have a heading where they say they can load 8 and 16 bit image files and then they have a list of filetypes below... It's not very clear, certainly.

I've encouraged them to look over that page and "consider adding some clarification"...or words to that general effect.

Bottom line: 16 bit PSDs or DPX...8 bit TIFs if you don't have third party software/hardware that has the ability to deal with 16 bit TIF files.

Not good news...I don't enjoy delivering it. Sorry about that.
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for clearing that up with regards to 16bit tiffs. It's not at all a problem for me to use psds. I was just wondering if there was something wrong with my setup and I spent some hours struggling with the tiffs.

By the way, when I tried an 8bit grayscale tif import, the properties repoted correctly with a pixel depth of 8. Everything else in my trials reports a pixel depth of 32.

With regards to the avc-intra importing-at-8bpc problem, do you have any knowledge as to when that might be corrected?

Thanks again for your kind posts.
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #13
Major Player

I know the AVC Intra thing is front-burner as it sounds like they were a little surprised when they found out (some time ago...they didn't learn this from us).

Apparently the AVC Intra export in 10 bit is good...I think that's where they were surprised as it's two sides of the same process...so they're tracking it. It will likely be two letters that strayed into one line of code somewhere...I think it would frustrate me to no end to have those guys' jobs.

There are updates on Adobe software that come out periodically but they don't publish what's in those until they're released.

Are you shooting P2? The media is a direct import from disk?
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Nope, not shooting p2. Actually I have been using AVC-Intra as an intermediate. My understanding is that it offers 10bit accuracy with 4:2:2 sampling. My early impression is that it is quite a capable codec, and it runs without issues on my modest i5 pc. Yet I am a relative newbee to Premiere and CS5 and codecs in general, so my opinions and practices may be flawed...
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #15
Major Player

Oh...I don't see any flaws in your thinking...

How do you ingest the footage then? What format are you shooting?

I'm curious about your workflow needs...maybe there's an alternative for you somehow in the short term.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite