Premier crashing - app not using much available memory. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Premier crashing - app not using much available memory.

I have started to have some crashes with Premier Pro CS5 (windows 7 - 64 bit). Although I have 12 GB of RAM available and 9 GB assigned to premier in preferences, the application really only seems to use between 2 and 3 GB of RAM, I have not seen it use any more than this. Are any other users seeing this type of memory usage? When the system crashes the entire system is probably not using any more than about 6 GB of RAM.

I am not sure this is a memory issue, but thought CS5 would eat up available RAM. The sequence setting is Matrox for (MX02) 720 - 1280 - 59.97 fps.

PP CS5 crashes often when I try and open another app or do anything outside of the app. For instance I can sometime just select the start menu and the app instantly will crash. I have been trying to rule out any possible issues.

Thanks for any help or insights -
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd start by uninstalling the Matrox box and drivers and see if the behavior is the same without it...if so, you eliminate that and move on to other possible system conflicts...
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Good advice Tim, I will test without Matrox installed, but still curious to know if PP should be using more RAM considering it's only using about 2 to 3 GB on a 12 GB system... will report back.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #4
Major Player

PPro will probably use the available memory when it needs it. For me, starting a HDV export uses all available memory that I have assigned PPro.

Maybe you do have memory problems, more of a hardware kind. Have you checked XMP profiles and voltage for the DDR3 modules in BIOS?

// Lasse
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Bios setting and hardware is all good - ran memtest86 and all Dimms check out fine, Adobe have sent me some possible solutions, will apply and see if this makes any changes, thanks for the imput, I will report back with progress or solution when i find out whats causing this,
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #6
Trustee

Which memtest86 did you run - the one from memtest86.com or Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Only the 2nd one should be run and it needs to run overnight (I say this from experience).

I have 24GB of ram and during regular editing, Premiere doesn't use much ram, maybe 3-4GB but on export, it will use up to 18GB which is 75% of total ram. 75% is the max Premiere will use on any system.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks - I had the mem test running (1st choice I believe) for about 8 hours and it found nothing -
I believe this is more of an app / configuration issue.
Rich Perry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite