Does Premiere 6.0 Automatically Split Video Into Clips When Capturing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 26th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please Help. Does Premiere 6.0 Automatically Split Video Into Clips When Capturing?

I was capturing video into Premiere 6.0 and it put it into one long clip even though there were many clips in it. Is there a way to make it automatically put the video into clips or do you have to do it manually?

Last edited by Drew Meinecke; July 26th, 2005 at 09:04 PM.
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #2
New Boot

Wait, did you just do batch capture? or what did you do?
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I did Movie Capture and then did these steps:
Clicked "Play"
Clicked "Record"
After everything was recorded I clicked "Stop"
And then a window popped up asking me to name the file, which I did

And then when I open up that file, it's one long clip.
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #4
Trustee

Are you using Premiere 6 by itself, or with a Pinnacle DV500? On it's own I don't recall Premiere 6 being able to batch capture to separate clips. However, the DV500 came with Pinnacle's own capture utility, which may have been able to do this. I also know that with the later version(s) of the DV500 drivers a utility was included for automatically separating one long clip into separate, scene-based clips inside Premiere 6.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Premiere 6.0 has a batch capture feature, but it is based on tape timecode (i.e. you define a list of clips using start and end times before starting the capture). I use this extensively to get around the 4GB file size limit I have with a FAT32 hard drive.

As far as I know it does not have a way to automatically split clips based on scene changes. Maybe the Pinnacle system Christopher mentioned can do this -- I'm just using a basic OHCI Firewire card.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

That's really weird. So Windows Movie Maker does that for you but Premiere doesn't?
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I couldn't say for sure as I have barely touched WMM, but I do recall that one of the Ulead programs (came with my firewire card I think) could do it too. Premiere of course beats it on all other features, but I was surprised that scene detection was not supported by the "better" of the two.

If you really want to you can probably capture using WMM and edit in Premiere.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #8
Trustee

I know Premiere Pro 1.5 breaks up the different shots when you capture. Just capture the tape.
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #9
Trustee

I don't get it... "Capture to tape" Aren't we capturing FROM tape? I was thinking this same question.
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #10
Trustee

Hugh,

You're right, but he has Premiere 6. Separate clips by scene detection during capture were not introduced until Premiere Pro 1.5.
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #11
Trustee

Capture from tape... sorry, typo. And, I didn't know version 6.0 didn't separate clips.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:18 AM   #12
Major Player

I'm in need of something as well. I found the Pinnacle DV-200 offers a capture utility that should do exactly what we need. It comes with a standard firewire card and Premiere 6 but the capture utility is the main feature. It is no longer offered by Pinnacle but they should still be around.

I was able to download the full install program from Pinnacle. I allows me to install and open DVtools, the capture utility, but it seems to want to see the DV-200 card. It will not connect to my Panasonic DV-2000 deck. The test utility also wants to see the card before it will do a test of the connected firewire device.

I will try and locate a card to test properly. If anyone has access to one, please post your results for all to read.

Last edited by George Odell; August 3rd, 2005 at 12:28 PM.
George Odell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Odell
I'm in need of something as well.
You could try Scenalyzer, a capture utility which has scene detection. It's $39; the company has an older version available for free in the download section of their website. I don't know if it has scene detection or not.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:18 PM   #14
Major Player

I just tried Scenalyzer, the freeware version, and it does exacly what I need.

Basically, you capture the entire tape into your hard drive from start to finish as one file (operating system permitting... I'm using W2K w/NTFS so no problem for me). Then open that big file in Scenalyzer and click on "scan datestamps". It then goes through the file and creates scene markers for each new shot (camera restart) based on the new time/date of the clip.

Then you tell it to save the markers as new DV files. You will need to have twice as much space on your HD as it will need it to copy the tapes contents all over again. After that you can delete the original capture file.

It's very simple to use and it worked perfectly in my tests. Since each time you start your DV camera you will create a new date stamp you will have a new DV file and a new picture icon in Premiere to work with.

It's free. Check it out!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM   #15
Regular Crew

WinDV is a free program that captures from and to tape. It also has scene detection so it creates a separate file whenever there's a scene change on the tape.

You can download it here.
Kin Kwan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite