Time-Lapse in Adobe CS5 ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:47 AM   #1
New Boot

Time-Lapse in Adobe CS5 ??

Is there a quick, smooth, and easy way to link up still images from a time-lapse sequence in Adobe CS5 ?

I will be shooting time-lapse with a Nikon D2X, and as such, realize that I must do it in JPEG not RAW. But, after the shooting is done, I must put all those stills together sequentially in their high quality. I am hoping there is an option in CS5 that will allow me to do that. If it is in the manual, what page, because I cannot find it.

If not, what would you suggest? I do NOT want to lose the original quality in the process.

Thanks.
George D. Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Wrangler

File>>Import and select the first file in a numbered sequence of stills from a folder. Looks the same as in previous versions; more detailed instructions are on page 64 of the PPro CS5 user manual. Is that what you're looking for?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Pete is correct but there are a couple of other things to consider:

1) Before importing any images into a bin, set the Preferences for still images to be 1 frame in duration. I believe the default setting is 5 seconds per image.

2) Are you capturing in 16x9 or how do you plan to resize the images? Photoshop has a great image processor that allows you to resize all images in a folder with a few clicks. Or you can put all images onto the timeline and adjust the first image; then select the Motion tab and copy (Control C); then select the remaining images on the timeline and paste (Control V). This pastes the position and size attributes of the first image onto every image selected.

Because you are using high res still images, I highly recommend checking Maximum Render Quality (MRQ) in the export settings. It will add time to the render but it greatly increases the scaling quality.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

Steve, good advice on the Photoshop prep.

George, if you do File>>Import and bring the images in as a numbered sequence as I think you were looking to do, each still image will become a frame of video so it isn't necessary to change the default duration of a still image added to a timeline. That brings you back to Steve's advice on prepping before doing the import though; you'll want to make sure that not only are the still images set the way you want them before import, but that your project settings give you the quality you're looking for in the video after the import (you can make your own high rez setting for a sequence if you want). But all that and more is all on page 64.
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Pete,

"more detailed instructions are on page 64 of the PPro CS5 user manual"

I've done a search for this manual, where do I find it please? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Doug.

Edit: Press F1 and there it is.

Last edited by Doug Bailey; August 26th, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #6
New Boot

I have found, since I posted this question, that it is far easier and clean-cut, to assemble the images in QuickTimePro then transfer it to Adobe CS5.

I found no instruction in the CS5 manual either, and why bother if QuickTime does it so quickly and so well.
George D. Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Wrangler

Here's the direct link to the info in the online version of PPro CS5 Help:
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 * Importing still images
same as found on pages 61-64 of the PPro CS5 Help PDF document, and a direct link to the same paragraph from page 64 that is specifically about sequenced images:
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 * Importing still images
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #8
New Boot

Thank you very much. That will help a lot.

Now I have two choices; CS5 or QuicktimePro.
George D. Dodge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite