DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   is it possible/healthy to mix 25p and 50i footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/484073-possible-healthy-mix-25p-50i-footage.html)

David J. Payne August 31st, 2010 02:01 AM

is it possible/healthy to mix 25p and 50i footage

Hi all,

I'm on the verge of buying a HVR-Z5E to use with my HDR-FX1. If I chose to shoot 25p on the Z5 could I then mix this in premiere pro cs4/cs5 with the 50i footage from the FX1?

Would I have to choose the HDV 50i or HDV 25p preset when creating the project? Is there any disadvantage to mixing the different frame rates?

Many thanks
David

Steve Phillipps August 31st, 2010 02:07 AM

The problem will be that they will look very different. You can de-interlace the 50i stuff to make it 25P, but can't easily go the other way.
Steve

David J. Payne August 31st, 2010 02:26 AM

thanks for that Steve. I'm just worried it'll be a bit of a waste getting a 25p camera when most of the stuff I shoot will be 2 cam and I'd therefore have to set it to 50i...

Do you know if there is any raw footage to download? If I could get my hand on a 5 sec 50i clip and a 5 sec 25p clip that would sort me right out...

also do you know if 25p footage is any more demanding on the pc to edit? All the more reason for me to try and find some sample m2t files...

Steve Phillipps August 31st, 2010 02:41 AM

AFAIK it's all down to the bit rate as to how demanding it is to edit. So if you have HDV at 18 mb/s it'll be exactly the same whether it's 25P, 50i, 60i etc.

Steve

David J. Payne August 31st, 2010 03:24 AM

thanks for your help Steve. I suppose I'll just shoot 25p for 1 cam projects and 50i for 2 cam. at least I'll get some benefit from 25p that way.

David J. Payne September 2nd, 2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1564497)
The problem will be that they will look very different. You can de-interlace the 50i stuff to make it 25P, but can't easily go the other way.
Steve

im assuming this isnt as easy as just deinterlacing in my editing program... do I need special software like cineform etc to do this? Might give it a test and see what it looks like.

Thanks

Steve Phillipps September 2nd, 2010 04:50 PM

I'm no editor but I suppose it depends what software you have - I think most have a de-interlacer included in the software (like Final Cut and Avid). Maybe some programmes do it better than others as they may fill-in the gaps between the lines better than others, but I think it's a pretty straightforward process.
Steve

David J. Payne September 4th, 2010 02:58 PM

Thanks for your reply Steve. I use premiere pro and yes it does have a deinterlace option but I always assumed that the reason people paid more for cameras with 25p capabilities is that it was more complex than just deinterlacing 50i in your editing program. Can anyone confirm this? If deinterlacing gives a good 25p effect then maybe I'll buy a DSLR sooner rather than later with no fear of mixing the formats.