Mpe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 31st, 2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Trustee

Mpe

I apologize for asking this because I know it must have been covered but I cant seem to get a totally straight answer. IF I am editing AVCHD footage but I am not using filters im just doing cuts and dissolves with the occasional 2 camera multi-cam switch. Will it benefit me to get a GTX-285 or GTX 480? I mainly want smooth scrubbing AVCHD editing which I am currently not getting with my i-7 920 and 6 gigs of memory and GTS-250 card.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Randy Johnson,

In your case, you are limited by too little memory and a CPU that's only at stock speed. No GPU upgrade can fix that with your current setup since the current implementation of MPE cannot take full advantage of the new high-end GPUs. In other words, you'll need to overclock your system's CPU from its stock 2.67GHz to around 3.2GHz, and add at least an extra 6GB of RAM to your system.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Trustee

oh thats cheap I can add 6 gigs of memory cheaper than a video card. The processor is another story.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
oh thats cheap I can add 6 gigs of memory cheaper than a video card. The processor is another story.
Actually, both of the video cards listed in your original post (GTX 285 and GTX 480) are more expensive than even two of the less-expensive i7-9xx series processors (i7-930 and i7-950). Your current i7-920 processor, however, did cost more than your current GTS 250.

Last edited by Randall Leong; September 1st, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Trustee

yeah but I would assume I would need to go faster than a 950 wouldnt I?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite