Having a little technical issue with applying transitons in Premiere CS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Having a little technical issue with applying transitons in Premiere CS4

Hey all, i'm working on placing together parts of this little video and i'm putting Cross Dissolve transitions over the end and begining of each clip but for some reason, when I take the transition off, move the clip in the time line and try to re-apply it. it won't go back over the end and begining. It just wants to go over the begining of the following clip...

I am sure its something sooooo simple that I am over looking....but I can't figure it out for nothing!
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Type in 'Clip Handles and Transtitions' in the Help, that might shed some light on the mistery.
Or page 326 of the PDF.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Terry,

I use CS4 as well. Double click the cross dissolve transition on your timeline. That will take you to "effects control" where you can define the alignment of the transition at the beginning, the end, or the centre of the cut. You can also modify the length of the dissolve with that control.

Hope that helps,

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As Ann points out, there must be enough extra in both clips beyond the in and out points for the transition to cover. And of course the clips must be snugged up together with no gap at all; you may have to zoom into the timeline quite a bit to be sure there is no gap.

Note that if you simply mark in and out points in the source panel, you should have plenty of extra footage, assuming the in and out points aren't at the actual beginning and end of the clip, but if you create a subclip there is no extra. Be very liberal when creating subclips.
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you all for helping! Your advice helped me learn something new! I Never had any formal training behind Premiere so i'm discovering I didn't know alot of things... Maybe I should buy a book..
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

What was the issue?
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Adam,

Well it was just that when I would drag the clips into the time line after importing them, the transition when exactly where I wanted them....but after altering the clip (delete it, shorten it etc..) they wouldn't go back right where I wanted.. But I didn't know you could manually alter the transition through the effects controls tab.

So the issue was resolved by simply grabbing the transition and pulling it over the area I need it to be over.

Again, thank you all!
Terry Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite