production premium cs5, raster to vector at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Major Player

production premium cs5, raster to vector

Is there an easy way to trace out a raster logo and convert it to vector for easy scaling -- using any of the tools in Production Premium?

Client supplied me with a simple graphic logo as a flattened photoshop file (*.psd) without layers, and on a white background. I've asked the client and this all they have.

Client wants me to pull it apart and rebuild it in a motion graphic (After Effects), for use in a splash screen for a DVD (Encore). I see what she wants, and it would work well for that purpose. But first I've got to recreate the logo. It would take me a couple of days to do this by hand, so first I'm looking to see if there isn't a nice tool to use that can trace it out and give me vector paths.

Any ideas?
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The trace function in illustrator could work for you - depending on the complexity of the image. Although for colour images, I rather like to use a plug in called fluid mask in photoshop which cuts out rather nicely, so I tend to make new layers using that now rather than use illustrator.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Trustee

If you choose the Illustrator solution, here is a tutorial on the process: http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/il...2ttlvtrace.pdf
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey Battle,

My new employee says THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I had him working on several logos converting them into vector based so I can use them within Cinema 4D. He knows Photoshop but is still learning IL (and I am not very good with IL either) so this just saved him several hours.

However, either he has NOT been watching Lynda.com like he told me or Live Trace is considered more advanced and is in a later class.

PS from me, THANKS!
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
If you choose the Illustrator solution, here is a tutorial on the process: http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/il...2ttlvtrace.pdf
Ah, cool. That works quite nicely. Thanks!
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Trustee

@ Steve and Bruce, glad it worked for you!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite