DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Retrieving edit goodness from corrupted PPro v2 file (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/486131-retrieving-edit-goodness-corrupted-ppro-v2-file.html)

Andrew Smith October 14th, 2010 11:40 AM

Retrieving edit goodness from corrupted PPro v2 file

Does anyone have any experience with retrieving something of use from a project file? Ironically, I kept backups of everything but the PPro project file.

Way too many hours went in to this edit. Not looking forward to having to re-do it.

Appreciation in advance.

Andrew

Adam Gold October 14th, 2010 11:56 AM

Your auto-saves are all gone? Is this an old project that you've archived using Project Manager or one you are currently working on? If current, did you disable Auto-Save?

Robert Young October 14th, 2010 06:32 PM

If you can't find a project file or an auto save project file (they are in their own seperate folder), I'm afraid that the edit is probably gone forever :(

Andrew Smith October 14th, 2010 08:03 PM

Ahh. Auto-saves ... will check for 'em now.

Andrew

Andrew Smith October 14th, 2010 09:08 PM

Ahh. Blessed auto-saves!

Found 'em and my project is good again. Phew!!!

If anything, this is an inadvertent testimony to the stability of Premiere Pro. All these years without a corrupted project file ... so long that I had forgotten about them and where they are stored. (pardon the embarrassment) I know, I know .....

Thanks everyone.

Andrew

Adam Gold October 14th, 2010 09:14 PM

Now that you've found your auto-saves, make sure to display the file details and sort by date/time, so you can find the most recent one. The file names do not indicate this.

Robert Young October 14th, 2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1578874)
Ahh. Blessed auto-saves!

Ah, yes...
They have saved my bacon more times than I can count

Andrew Smith October 14th, 2010 11:12 PM

Actually, the naming did on mine. "Main Presentation 4-5" which was autosave 5 of this 4th main presentation.

Heck, I'm just thrilled to not have to make my edit decisions again, even though I have an exported proof that would have made it easier to reassemble it all. This was one of those videos with a thousand audio cuts, cleaning up where someone in the audience had coughed. (rolls eyes in agony)

Andrew

Adam Gold October 14th, 2010 11:26 PM

Yes, it's not that the numbers don't sometimes match, it's that the highest number is not necessarily the most recent. After it saves 5 it'll recycle to 1 for the next save, and so on. So 4 could be more recent than 5 by nearly an hour (with a 15-minute interval).

Andrew Smith October 14th, 2010 11:30 PM

Gotcha. That explains why I only had 5 autosave backup files.

Thanks for that, Adam.

Andrew

Adam Gold October 14th, 2010 11:36 PM

One last thing: you can set both the number of files to save and the interval as well, so you can really customize to your needs.

Kevin Monahan December 7th, 2010 06:53 PM

Making Auto Saves More Effective

Hey All,
Great thread with some valuable info here. No one enjoys losing work, and with auto saves, it just doesn't need to happen. If you want to fully dial in the settings for Auto Save, you can check out the preferences inside Premiere Pro. This page from Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Help does just that:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 * Preferences

Andrew Smith December 7th, 2010 07:56 PM

An official Adobe Premiere dude? Truly the gates of heaven have opened above us!

Andrew

Kevin Monahan December 8th, 2010 11:32 AM

The Adobe Guy

I'm here to help. Ask any questions you like and I'll do my best to answer 'em! If I don't know, I will find out.