Premiere cs5, transitions that dont look cheesy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 29th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Premiere cs5, transitions that dont look cheesy?

When ever i have to use a transition I almost always use only , cross-fade, or dip to white/black cause i feel just about every other transition looks unprofessional/cheesy.

are there any other stock transitions you use that you feel don't look lame?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Major Player

I use the "cube spin" which looks kind of like a 3-D wipe. I use it sparingly to signify either a jump in time or a change in subject, particularly where a dissolve or cross-fade might wind up looking like a jump-cut.

For introductory sequences in wedding videos, I also sometimes use page peels and page turns in combination with titles.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Wrangler

This is all just personal taste/opinion, of course, but the plethora of transitions are a great example of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Over-used, most transitions to look cheesy to most of us. I also use almost exclusively plain ol' cross-dissolve and dip to black (occasionally white), or none at all if I really don't have to have a transition effect.

If I'm tempted to use a fancy transition, I ask myself, "Self, what motivation/purpose is there to choosing a transition that says LOOK AT ME, I'M A TRANSITION!" and most often go back to plain ol' cross-dissolve or just a hard cut. But then, like Jay's example, if I can actually answer the question to myself, I'll give it a try. One example of mine is where I cut from one end of a hockey rink to the camera behind the opposite goal and I've tried the cube spin. I still think it smells a little of cheese, but I suspect it will be easier for my beer-drinking buddies to realize that the video switched to the other end of the rink. Then again, I've not yet actually tried the effect out on them; maybe they'll just get dizzy and fall off the barstool.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Major Player

I noticed in AfterEffects there are quite a few good looking transitions, What is the easiest way to use these transitions in a premiere sequence?

Is the only way to export each of the 2 clips as separate videos and then bring them into AE?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Non-Additive Dissolve is cool but not for everything. Vitascene has great transitions but they don't have a 64 bit yet.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:12 AM   #6
Trustee

I very much agree with Jay and Pete.
I used to overuse even the cross dissolve.
Now I force myself to have an authentic reason for using any sort of transition.
What kind of transitions work well and don't look cheesy?
Absolutely any one of them when it accomplishes a very specific goal successfully.
Which ones look cheesy- all of them when carelessly used.
A transition is a visual effect, just like changing the sky color from blue to green. You would want to have a good reason for doing that.
If I need to go beyond a simple transition, I will often have to try several to find what I need- and when the footage looks "right", when the transition passes almost without notice because it works so well- then you've got it.
If you play the clips and all you see is the transition- you don't got it yet.
Also, it is super easy to bring your two clips into an AE comp and create more sophisticated effects, then bring them back into PPro with Dynamic Link. No rendering necessary. You can jump back to AE and make further changes, the clips are instantly updated on your PPro timeline.
It's all very slick :)
P.S.
Often the timeline preview across the transition is reduced quality/framerate, etc. & looks sort of junky, but will actually look terrific after render to final delivery format. This applies to imported AE comps also.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite