DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   How to: Export archival copy from Premiere CS5/Mac? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/487324-how-export-archival-copy-premiere-cs5-mac.html)

Micky Hulse November 10th, 2010 06:17 PM

How to: Export archival copy from Premiere CS5/Mac?

Hello!

How can I export the highest quality, archival, copy of an edit from Premiere Pro CS5?

Let's say I have an HD edit, captured using the HDV preset, and now I want to export a movie that is the same quality as the source footage... What would I do?

I would like to generate a render that could be used later for re-editing.

Printing to tape would be my first choice, but unfortunately on a mac, the docs say "HDV printing to tape is PC only".

In FCP, I can easily export a QT movie the same quality as the source footage... I would hate to sound like an idiot, but what would be the same option in Premiere? :)

I have tried QT movie preset in AME in the past, but my HD movies always end up looking like crud when looking at the export. Would anyone mind sharing an AME preset?

Any tips? Can I provide more info?

Any help ya'll could provide would be spectacular.

Thanks!
Micky

Mike McCarthy November 10th, 2010 06:51 PM

You could export it to MPEG2 with the same settiings that HDV cameras use, but it is an acquisition codec that is not well suited to what you are trying to do. Instead I would export a final master copy to an editing intermediate codec, to use as source footage in future projects and/or revisions. If you have FCP, then QT ProRES should be an export option. You could also use DVCProHD if it was HDV source. We use Cineform at our facility to archive a master copy of all of our finished pieces.

Micky Hulse November 11th, 2010 11:12 AM

Hi Mike! Thanks so much for the pro tips, I really appreciate it. :)

I will have to try all those options you mention.

On my work computer, I do have FCP, so I will check for QT ProRES. On my laptop, unfortunately, I don't have FCP installed... My co-workers are also in the same boat for their laptops, so I will also experiment with intermediate codecs (would Apple Intermediate codec work?).

I typically shoot all HDV using the XHA1, but my co-worker sometimes mixes DSLR footage with his consumer-grade Canon (which, I don't think it shoots HDV), although, he captures using HDV setting (vs. DV), and I am not even sure if that makes a difference. I personally just shoot with Canon XHA1, so I don't have to worry about the different formats and such. I love the XHA1. :)

Anyway, I will play around with all these options. If I find a quality export AME setting, I will export the setting and post it here for feedback.

Thanks again Mike! I owe you one! ;)

Cheers,
Micky

Mike McCarthy November 11th, 2010 12:41 PM

Try the BluRay export settings. I am not sure whether the H264 or the MPEG2 option will offer better editing performance for future work, but Premiere should support both in RT. (Basis for DSLR and HDV) That will give you a full resolution final file that can be used on a BluRay, played back on your system, or used as source footage in future projects.

Micky Hulse November 11th, 2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy (Post 1587120)
Try the BluRay export settings. I am not sure whether the H264 or the MPEG2 option will offer better editing performance for future work, but Premiere should support both in RT. (Basis for DSLR and HDV) That will give you a full resolution final file that can be used on a BluRay, played back on your system, or used as source footage in future projects.

Ah, interesting!

I remember tinkering with BluRay output in the past, and, IIRC, the video and audio generated their own files? I remember liking the quality, but I was not sure how to package the audio/video together for archiving... Should I be worried about the separation of the audio/video, or should I just throw the two in a folder and call it good? :)

Also, and I know this question is kinda vague, but what would you suggest for a MPEG2/BluRay bitrate setting? Would 25 - 27 mbps suffice? Would you suggest CBR or VBR?

Thanks so much for your help! I greatly appreciate it. :)

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
Micky

Mike McCarthy November 11th, 2010 05:38 PM

That is a good point, the bluray output files usually aren't muxed, which is fine for future editing, but more difficult to review properly on your system in say, Media Player. I would recommend about 25Mb/s, which is what HDV uses. You could go a little higher for MPEG2, or a little lower for H264, but really you should just export about 10 one minute tests, and see which one you like. (Try both codecs at 15, 20, 25, 30, 35,and maybe 40Mbs)

Micky Hulse November 11th, 2010 07:08 PM

Mike... YOU ROCK! :)

Thanks SOOOO much for all of your pro help! I really appreciate it.

I will do some experimenting and post back my findings. It sounds like the BluRay output will be the best option for my (and my co-worker's) situation.

Have an excellent Friday/Weekend.

Cheers!
Micky