Mercury Playback Engine and NVIDIA mobile cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I do wish the Toshiba had USB 3. Also, the 505-898 has two drives, the first is a 50GB SSD. Barely fits the OS and CS5. I have about 10G to spare there. The SSD is fast, though. (There's also the 500GB 7200RPM for media) The other annoyance was the multimedia touch-pad on the left of the keyboard- which I kept hitting by mistake until I disabled it. I needed the eSata, firewire and express card for XDCAM. The Toshiba is hefty, but the bigger screen is nice.
Ed Przyzycki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #17
Adobe Systems

Quadro 5000M

Hi All,
We've just certified Premiere Pro CS5 to run on a mobile CUDA card, the NVIDIA Quadro 5000M. If you have this card, you should update to Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3). Do so by following this link:

“Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update: performance improvements, bug fixes and Quadro 5000M and 4000 CUDA support”
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #18
New Boot

I've had a little over a week working with the HP EliteBook 8740w now and I'll tell ya, it is pretty fast. After installing Premiere Pro CS5 and adding the NVIDIA 3800M to the list of Cuda supported cards, the system has no problem handling the HDV mpeg-2 files from my Canon XH-A1s. I get good performance with up to 4 layers of video playing simultaneously on the timeline. It renders so much faster than my old machine it is laughable.

I haven't set up additional hard drives yet, but the two USB 3.0 ports should work nicely when I have the cash to invest.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread.
Ben Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Ben, how's the 8740w going?
Matthew Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Re: Mercury Playback Engine and NVIDIA mobile cards

Just to add my two cents.

I recently got a new HP 8540w laptop from work and I thought I'd give PPro CS5 a test run.

Core i7-720CPU
16GB RAM
2 x 500GB 7200 RPM Hard Drives
nVidia FX880M video

And I was really impressed how fast it runs on a mobile platform. I had to do the trick to get CS5 to see the video card but that was simple.

The screen is way too small to do anything serious of course but in a pinch you would get by with it.

Charlie Durand
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite