Greenscreen work with 5D or EX1r make a difference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Greenscreen work with 5D or EX1r make a difference?

Hello everyone,

Quick question:
I am wondering if you used the Canon 5D camera and made the greenscreen more out of focus if that would help when you key things out? I have both the Sony EX1r and the Canon 5D and will need to do some greenscreen work soon. A friend has Adobe After Effects (and Ultra I think too) so that is what I have to do it with. The shots will be of a male actor waist up and also full body shot. The goal is to composite him in a digital world for part of a film I am creating.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Thank you.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Trustee

I'd recommend the EX1r for the task. The 5D has the aliasing issue that plagues all the Canon Dslrs. I thought of the blur thing too with my 7D and it didn't really improve the keying. The aliasing on the edges of the key made it a bit tougher than it should have been. I've keyed a bunch of footage from various ex1s and my xf300 and they work extremely well.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Cool, thanks for the reply!
I thought too, I could also use both cameras at once too possibly, but I'll plan on using the EX then. Did you reduce the sharpness or anything, or is there anything else that I should do on the camera for the best possible key? (obviously lighting is super important, but just looking for on camera tricks).

Thanks a ton!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #4
Trustee

The 7D experiment I did use some custom settings I found somewhere on this forum (I'm so helpful!)
Sharpness was decreased though. Still had to fight blocky edges. But for real, I'm nit picking. The dslrs cN be used for GS work...I'm just saying since you have the EX1r...

Since I was just editing footage from the ex1 and ex1r, I don't know what settings were used. On my xf300 I am on the stock setting right now...have been too busy to dig in to those adjustments. I think the bigger thing to look at is the ex and XF are both 4:2:2 cams with pretty robust codecs. Before I had the XF I was using an hmc150 and did have it tweaked but to make life easy bought Primatte Keyer suite for AE. Went from about half an hour of effort to key to literally 5 min with the change in camera. I can even pull great keys with the stock FCP keyer.

And yes the lighting is all important. I'm still learning to fine tune that end of it and probably always will be!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite