Simple software licensing question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Simple software licensing question

I'm going to start building a dedicated PC, for editing. I'm thinking of getting a copy of CS5 Production Suite, prior to having that system built. I'm wanting to know if it's against licensing rules to install part of CS5 (specifically Photoshop) on my laptop (which is in now way equipted to handle CS5 in all it's glory), so that I can start to learn better it's functions? It's permanent home will be the yet to be built system, but I don't want to do that if there will be any licensing or registration conflicts.

Thanks for the advice.
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I specifically asked Adobe about a similar scenario, and they told me you can install and activate CS5 on two machines and even run them simultaneously, as long as the same app isn't being used at the same time on both machines. So you could install and activate whatever you want on your laptop and use Photoshop, and you could still be using Premiere on the desktop at the same time if you wish.

If you are planning to uninstall from the laptop before you install on the new desktop, it's even simpler -- just be sure to deactivate from the laptop before the uninstall.
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Trustee

"use Photoshop, and you could still be using Premiere on the desktop at the same time"

Not quite correct Adam, The suite is seen as one bundle with a single license and anything from the bundle can only be used on one machine at a time. You are correct if you have different licenses for each application, but with a single license for the suite, you can only use it on one machine at a time.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I actually didn't know that I could unregister a program, and move to another machine. Guess I've never owned and higher quality (pro) type programs. That alone answers my question. It may be a few months before I was able to buy and build the system I want. But I wanted to get the CS5 suite, load some or all if it on my laptop and start exploring it. But didn't want to have problems when I went to install it on it's intended home.

I still may download the trial version, and test it out, but it will expire long before I can purchase the suite. Plus, as I said before, CS5 would be waisted on my laptop.

Thanks again for the info.
Jeff
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Trustee

The proper procedure would be to install CS5 on the laptop & use it.
When your big system is ready, just open any major CS5 component on the laptop (PS, AE. PPro, etc.), click the "Help" button @ top right and the drop down menu will have a "Deactivate" selection. This will quickly guide you through the deactivation of CS5 on the laptop and make it free for activation elsewhere.
Note that the products will still be installed on the laptop, but not activated and usable.
Above all, do not uninstall these products without deactivating them first.
Old December 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
"use Photoshop, and you could still be using Premiere on the desktop at the same time"

Not quite correct Adam, The suite is seen as one bundle with a single license and anything from the bundle can only be used on one machine at a time. You are correct if you have different licenses for each application, but with a single license for the suite, you can only use it on one machine at a time.
Harm, that's what I thought, but they specifically told me otherwise, and I have done so without problem. The reason I even asked them about it was that frequently while a project is rendering or burning, I want to be able to work on the labels or cases in Photoshop or Illustrator on another machine.

If I still have the email text, I'll try to find it and post it.

Edit: Here is the chat session. It is, in my opinion, typically hilarious in its circular and obfuscatory nature, which is why I asked the same question several times. While the answer seems clear, I'm still not confident, so probably best to follow Harm's advice and err on the side of caution.

Note: I've edited out some non-sequiturs and corrected the rep's spelling
Quote:
Leo: Hello! Welcome to Adobe Customer Service.
Leo: Please allow me a moment to review your request.
Leo: Hi Adam.
Leo: I understand that you wish to know if you can install the software on 2 system, is that correct?
Adam: And use different apps, not the same one, simultaneously. I know I can install the package on two machines but I have to deactivate one to use the other if I want Premiere on both. I want Photoshop and Illustrator on one machine and Premiere, Encore, Soundbooth, etc on the other so I can use unrelated apps at the same time on two PCs.
Leo: Okay.
Leo: You can install the software on 2 systems and will not be able to use it simultaneously as per the End Use License Agreement.
Leo: If you are accessing on one system you will not be able to use it on the other system.
Adam: Okay, even if they are different apps? Each app would be only on one machine. But they are all part of the same suite. Obviously if I buy the individual apps I could do this.
Leo: Adam, if you open Photoshop on one system and Illustrator on other system you will be able to use it but not Photoshop and Photoshop.
Adam: Right, okay. Actually it would be Premiere on one system and Illustrator and Photoshop on the other. It would never be the same app on both -- they wouldn't even be installed on both. Premiere would be installed on one machine only and Illustrator/Photoshop on the other. So this would be okay?
Leo: You can do a customer installation or you can install the full suite but you can use certain application on one system but not on the other, like Illustrator and Illustrator.
Adam: Right, it would be a custom install with different halves of the suite on each machine. No duplication. I guess the issue is that with one serial number for the suite, is the activation at the suite level of the app level?
Leo: The activation will be at the suite level.
Adam: So if the activation is at the suite level, it will still allow me to use the different apps at the same time? This is a big issue as I need to keep working on other parts of the project while video renders, burns, etc.
Leo: Okay.
Adam: Just want to be crystal clear. Thanks.
Leo: If you wish to use the software at the same time you can purchase the Volume Licensing software.
Adam: So now I'm confused. First you said I could use different apps on different machines at the same time without a problem. Now you are saying I need to buy an additional license. Which is correct?
Leo: You can reach our Sales team at 877-822-3623 to order for the volume licensing.
Adam: The problem is you are using the term "the software" which could mean anything.
Leo: Yes, you can use different application on different machine if you will use the same application on both the system you can purchase the Volume Licensing software.
Adam: Got it. I would only do the first, never the second. Thanks.
Leo: You are welcome. It was nice chatting with you.
Leo: I'll be happy to help. Do you have any further questions for me today?
Adam: Thanks. Will I get a transcript of this chat?
Leo: Yes, you can email this.
Adam: Okay, thanks.
Leo: If you have any queries please feel free to contact us we will be happy to help you.
Final note: I actually have the entire suite installed and activated on both machines, but have never tried firing up the same app at the same time on both.

But of course this isn't what the original question was about. So, sorry for taking this a bit OT.

Last edited by Adam Gold; December 6th, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the great info!

I have one more question, and I think, based on the info above, that the answer is "yes", but I will ask.

When I buy CS5 Production Bundle,I am going to have a dedicated "desktop" system. If I buy a small travel laptop, and also load CS5 onto it. When I travel, can I deactivate CS5 from the desktop, activate on the lap top (I understand the laptop isnt going to have the same abilities as the desk top, just interested in basic function of editing stuff while traveling), use while I'm away, or as a location computer, and then get back, and deactivate laptop, and reactivate desktop?

From what I've read in this thread, the answer should be yes, but I wanted to clarify

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Major Player

You shouldn't need to deactivate to use it on two machines with one being your workstation and one being your portable.

Adobe has traditionally allowed two activations for one serial for this exact reason...most of us need a portable machine of some type and Adobe's intent is not for some production company to install four workstations and only buy two licenses...it's for the individual who needs the software on a laptop (or sometimes a home machine perhaps) and an "office" workstation.

That said, in the past OnLocation alone has had some special arrangement for activations in the past due to the fact that you may have a dedicated "field production" laptop that would focus only on that, and two post production machine activations would make that impossible, but I'm not sure how they're working that with the suite activations...

It's been two versions since I've had an actual physical product, so i don't know if there is a separate serial for OnLo, or how that works...or if it's even still the case.
Old December 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The "simultaneous" business does not make sense. It would mean that the ap would have to check in with adobe via the internet at every invocation. Sometimes your internet service might be down and that would mean no CSx until service is restored.
Old December 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Wrangler

Wesley, to my understanding of the activation process, those terms don't mean the app has to access the internet to function. As Tim said, Adobe allows two machines to be activated at the same time and either an installation is in an activated state at a particular time or it isn't. When you activate online, the server checks if you have an available activation; when you deactivate, it tallies an activation as available. Once that's done, it doesn't matter whether you're online or not. So I think they are depending on the user to honor the terms of the license up to the two-machine level. Beyond that, the activation system will kick in.

FWIW, that may not apply to corporate multi-seat licenses in which large accounts may talk to servers to verify that an excess number of seats are not being used for the license.

Personal comment: I definitely don't like Product Activation any more than the next honest end user, but I have to at least give grudging kudos to Adobe for having the clearest, easiest to use Activation system of any software I use.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #11
Major Player

Yes, Pete is right on...

You activate two machines and they both could be used simultaneously...but it is not Adobe's intent to sell you a two-seat license... It is to facilitate one user with a stationary and a mobile workstation.

There is no interaction when you launch an application on one machine to find out if the other is running as far as I know.

If you need to change machines, you need to deactivate one installation to free up an activation... The thorny issue comes in when you just lose a machine through a system drive catastrophic failure or something where the installation is no longer usable, but you did not obviously have a chance to de-activate it.

I'm not certain what Adobe's policy is on that situation these days...
Old December 11th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #12
Trustee

Hey Tim,

I had no problem calling Adobe and getting my system re-activated after the motherboard was replaced (which caused the Adobe software to think it was on a different computer).
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #13
Adobe Systems

Man, that's a great success story. I'm glad you were able to solve your activation issues.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite