PPro vs Avid: Sound scrubbing question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 10th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PPro vs Avid: Sound scrubbing question

Hi,
Coming from an Avid background, I'm trying to replicate my Avid workflow on PPro CS5. So far, I've managed to customize my keyboard shortcuts so they 'feel' natural to me (my fingers only 'speak' Avid language, and I'm afraid it's too late to change that :-) )
The only thing I haven't been able to do that's driving me crazy is the sound scrubbing in PPro.
In Avid, you don't get sound scrubbing when you scrub video (by dragging the timeline, or using the arrow keys) unless you use the shift key. When you play the timeline, or JKL through it, sound is on, as you would expect.
In PPro, sound scrubbing is always on, and it's very irritating to my old ears...

Does anyone have a solution for me?
Thanx for any input

edit: I should have mentionned that I know about the Preferences setting 'Turn off Audio when scrubbing', but then I don't get scrubbing when using the arrow keys at all. What I need is a way to enable/disable audio scrubbing on demand (ala Avid)
Mikael Couderc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Trustee

It's a little more complicated, but you can assign a keyboard shortcut to the preferences>audio function and select or deselect scrubbing there. From the Adobe help site:

"Specify whether to play audio while scrubbing
By default Premiere Pro plays the audio when you scrub any clip or sequence containing audio in the Source Monitor, Program Monitor, or a Timeline. You can change this setting, if you prefer silent scrubbing.

1.Select Edit > Preferences > Audio (Windows), or Premiere Pro > Preferences > Audio (Mac OS).
You can assign a keyboard shortcut to the Preferences > Audio command. See Finding and customizing keyboard shortcuts.

2.Check or deselect Play Audio While Scrubbing, depending on the option desired.
3.Click OK.
"
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow! Didn't know that...
So if I understand well, the audio scrubbing enabler/disabler setting is also listed in the keyboard shortcut list? Any idea of its wherabouts (PPro kind of confuses me the way it lists shortcuts...)
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh, and since I'm here and hopefully you are too, do you, by any chance, know how to enable audio scrubbing whilst in trim mode.
I find it terribly cumbersome to sync your edits to sound events in trim mode, don't you?
edit: oups, shouldn't be 'trim mode', but 'trim monitor'
Old December 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok, I see what you meant now.
In fact there's no keyboard shortcut for enabling/disabling audio scrubbing, but only one for opening the audio settings window. Then one also has to tick/untick that box from that pop up window. Not really convenient at all...

Come on Adobe, give us that option please! It's these little things that matter and make an editing session feel smooth (or not)
One esay solution would be to enable mapping a menu item to a key... (ala Avid)
Thanx all the same, Battle Vaughan.
G'night (or day, depending where you are)
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Adobe Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Couderc View Post
Oh, and since I'm here and hopefully you are too, do you, by any chance, know how to enable audio scrubbing whilst in trim mode.
I find it terribly cumbersome to sync your edits to sound events in trim mode, don't you?
edit: oups, shouldn't be 'trim mode', but 'trim monitor'
Mikael,
Unfortunately, there is no audio scrubbing in the Trim Monitor. I think it's a wonderful suggestion though. Can you please file a feature request for this? The form is here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish . More on how to give feedback: feature requests, bug reports, crash reports, and sending feedback After Effects region of interest

The more feature requests we have for a feature, the more closely we look at trying to implement the feature.
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Adobe Systems

Another Great Suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Couderc View Post
Come on Adobe, give us that option please! It's these little things that matter and make an editing session feel smooth (or not)
One esay solution would be to enable mapping a menu item to a key... (ala Avid)
Thanx all the same, Battle Vaughan.
G'night (or day, depending where you are)
Another great suggestion Mikael. Again, the method for letting us know what you want is via our Feature Request/Bug Report form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish . I, too, would love to see this feature enabled in future versions of Adobe Premiere Pro.
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Trustee

Kevin, if you happen by this thread again, and not to hijack it, thanks for your interest! Sometimes it seems that the people who design the software don't actually USE it.

This kind of thing ---seeing and hearing what you are editing --- is just basic to the usefulness of the product. Hearing the audio you are working with is just BASIC. Things like not being able to see the video play while you are in a scope mode, so you can't see the video you are analyzing, are really irritating.

Other competing products, such as FCP, do this routinely......surely, the developers analyze the competition for fundamental usability?
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #9
Adobe Systems

Indeed, this is a classic case of hijacking a thread. Nothing personal. Feel free to start new threads about your concerns and I'll see what I can do.

One quick thing I can help you with: if you have a complaint about Adobe Premiere Pro (AKA a feature request), then we want to hear about it. Want scopes to playback along with your footage? File a Feature Request: http://bit.ly/ck4LbS
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin,
I'll definitely fill out a couple of feature requests. The only reasons I didn't before is cos I assumed Adobe couldn't care less. Now that I know you take users' requests into consideration, I feel that the time it'll take to submit those (feature requests) will be justified.
May I take this opportunity to ask other members who'd like to see the following features implemented in one of PPro's next update or version, to do the same and fill out those feature requests...

-Temporarily enable audio scrubbing by holding a keyboard shortcut
-Audio scrubbing whilst in Trim Window
-Menu item mapping to shortcut keys
-JKL trimming

Thanx
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #11
Adobe Systems

Yes, please request these features. I would like to see them implemented myself. By the way, most things in the menu can be mapped to shortcut keys. Go to Edit > Keyboard Customization. Go to this page for more info.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite