Premiere 5.0.3 crashing with ntdll.dll module error - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 17th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #31
Major Player

Yes please keep us posted with regards to the cineform file.

By the way, I reverted back at 5.02 (cineform build 281) and moved my cache media and database to another drive raid0 array and so far I am not getting many crashes (every hour or so), perhaps this is related to media cache ? - Would be nice to have a rock solid system I gotta say.
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #32
Major Player

I also received the Cineform file -- an older version of the Cineform importer plug-in. I swapped that one in. Crashes continued. PPro became more and more unstable. After restoring the previous version of the file, I continue to get frequent ntdll crashes.

I was going to try to revert CS5.0.3 back to CS5.0.2 (under Win 7, right click the PPro icon, select "revert to previous version".) I now discover that all of my restore points have been erased and Windows only lists the Windows updates on December 16 and 17. Everything prior is gone.

I was contemplating an onerous complete uninstall/reinstall of all of CS5, Cineform and Matrox. Before starting that, I tried creating a new admin user profile and deleting the one in which I had been running PPro. So far, things are a great deal more stable, so I'm trying to get some editing done for a Monday deadline.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #33
Major Player

A further update.

I found what seems to be a possible new culprit, at least on my system. One is that there seems to be some incompatibility between CS5.0.3 (when used with MXOs mini) and some of the most recent Win 7 "critical" security updates. I had tried uninstalling and physically removing the Matrox hardware and software and still got frequent PPro crashes. When I rolled back the last couple of Windows security updates, I stopped getting the frequent crashes.

I'm now back to using Cineform and the MXO2 mini. However, for some reason, PPro CS5.0.3 is only letting me have one multi-cam sequence per project. If I try to create a second multi-cam sequence, PPro hangs. The event viewer simply says that PPro CS5.0.3 stopped communicating with Windows. It does not seem to be reporting errors in the "ntdll.dll" module. So, for now, at least, I can edit enough to meet Monday's deadline.
Old December 19th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Am having a problem here too: whenever I try and export from PPro via AME I get an error screen that says "PPro Headless.exe has stopped working"
The error message in full is below and includes the ntdll.dll issue.

I am not using Cineform but I AM using MXO2 with most recent (5.00) drivers.
Am now going to try installing MXO2 Mini with Max and its drivers and see if that improves things.

Cheers

Mark

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PProHeadless.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ce34c66
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16559
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba9b802
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000005664c
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 75cb
Additional Information 2: 75cb8e21ed726286b9cdb2651d59de91
Additional Information 3: 523a
Additional Information 4: 523ad2da949d500e4fecab2b3c5e5efd
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I have now had two full days of editing with the test file sent to me by Cineform support and have not had a recurrence of the ntdll.dll faulting module error I had after moving to Premiere 5.0.3

My system did crash once while attempting to render, but the error reported involved a different file CFHD_File_Exporter.prm. The project monitor play button also locked up a few times requiring me to exit and restart Premiere. But I suspect these are separate issues.

Overall my system is much more stable vs. being barely useable before installing the test file.

I have now responded back to Cineform support. So hopefully this means this issue is on the way to getting sorted.
Steve Pesenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #36
Regular Crew

That's great news, Steve. I've been watching from the sidelines on this issue. Thanks.
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #37
Major Player

Nice to know, after I get done with my latest project I will give it another try with the test file, mabey cineform will update their next package with it.
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #38
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We continue to monitor this situation, we don't believe we are the cause as there are several reports from non-CineForm users, but we looking to find a workaround. Please work with both Adobe support and that of the affected plugin vendor.

David Newman
CTO, CineForm
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #39
Major Player

5.02 and build 281 has been pretty stable for me the last few days David, thanks... will stick to this for now, indecently when I built a fresh O/S for testing I only had CS5.03 and latest (288) Cineform installed no other software or plugins at all and it crashed constantly (every time clicking outside the application window the dreaded ntdll.dll error. We can't rule out weirdness with our systems I guess also, so I have ordered some new faster memory (24 GB - 1600). If that fails I will get a new mobo, if its still unstable I may put my head in an oven for a while or maybe switch platform or app. I have a lot of time invested in my current system would be a shame to let it go :)
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:06 PM   #40
Adobe Systems

Hi All,
Thanks for your patience. We're still looking into and working on this issue. One thing our engineering staff is looking for is a debugger from any crash you have. If you do have one, please contact me by email and attach the debugger to the mail.

Thanks!
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Perry View Post
5.02 and build 281 has been pretty stable for me the last few days David, thanks... will stick to this for now, indecently when I built a fresh O/S for testing I only had CS5.03 and latest (288) Cineform installed no other software or plugins at all and it crashed constantly (every time clicking outside the application window the dreaded ntdll.dll error. We can't rule out weirdness with our systems I guess also, so I have ordered some new faster memory (24 GB - 1600). If that fails I will get a new mobo, if its still unstable I may put my head in an oven for a while or maybe switch platform or app. I have a lot of time invested in my current system would be a shame to let it go :)
I'm now using CS5.03 (because I have been unable to roll back to CS 5.02). I was able to roll back to Cineform NeoHD 281 and have been using the Matrox 3.01 software. As noted above, I created a new admin user account on Sunday and rolled back the previous two Win7 "critical updates." I deleted the user account I had been using. I was able to finish the project I had on Sunday and deliver it Monday morning without a crash as long as I did not try to create another multi-cam sequence in the Project. I did another project on Monday and had only one crash which was not a ntdll issue. (This was a problem I used to see under CS2 where the audio tracks would get stuck and continue to play even when the video stopped.) The Monday project was a concert project with two HDV tracks and 3 HDV, all converted to Cineform, I had no limitations on having multiple multi-cam sequences as had been the problem with the previous project. Previously, I had found PPro's title functions to be unstable, but I've done multilayer 30 plus titles without a lock-up or crash The only real issue I have had is an annoying 1-3 second lag when clicking "play" on the timeline after making edits. and when adding titles. I don't know if Cineform build 288 had anything to do with the stablity problems. I rather doubt that it did but I haven't had time to see if the newest Cineform build makes any difference. I also finally got through reading the update notes for the Matrox Mini ver. 5 software and it sounds like it might be troublesome for a while, so I'm going to skip that upgrade until I get to a point where I don't have projects stacking up on me. .
Old December 27th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #42
Major Player

I am planning on trying 5.03 and latest cineform again shortly to see if the crashes return. I upgraded RAM from 12 to 24 GB, the system seems smoother and more stable with 5.2, no crash yet since installing new memory for 5.02. One thing I always do is take ghost backups periodically of different builds. This way if the system tanks I can revert back to a working build within about 10 minutes. Ghost 15 for Win7 works well for me, and my SSD raid 0 logical volumes. Will report back with a status on trying 5.03 again shortly.
Old December 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Will be interested to hear how you get on.

My system is still limping with additional issues even though no more ntdll.dll crashes since my last post. Per requests above, I have sent more info on this to both Adobe and and Cineform today.
Steve Pesenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #44
Adobe Systems

Hi Steve,
I passed along your crash log to engineering. We're back from our holiday break, so work will now continue on this issue. Thanks for your cooperation.
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #45
Major Player

Just a quick update regarding 5.3 and the ntdll.dll module error.

I upgraded my system to 24 GB of new RAM and overclocked it to 1600, also the CPU (i7, 960) is overclocked to 4ghz and the system is running very stable. I have upgraded to CS5 5.3 and using build 291. So far its running very well, I have not had the system crash yet and I have been editing for about 8 hours and so far so good. The only niggly issue is every so often the source monitor stops playing back any loaded clips for trimming and I have to restart the app. I have a feeling this is a cineform issue because it happened before and they released an update fix. Other than that the system seems fine.

Another point is my system is only using about 10 to 11 GB of RAM, I am wondering is this is due to the amount of cores?
Rich Perry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite