downconversion looks bad using CS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Major Player

downconversion looks bad using CS4

My associate editor uses CS4. I don't know much at all about it as I use Final Cut. However, he is working with XDCAM footage, shot at 1280 x 720 @60 progressive, destined for blu-ray disc and standard DVD. He says the HD footage looks great but the SD looks like VHS quality.
Is there a method that produces the best results using CS4?
Here is what he wrote:

The HD footage is beautiful, However----

I have tried without success to down convert the HD footage to standard definition.

When I make a standard wide screen DVD from the time line, I get a great picture wide screen, but massive artifacts.

When I export the HD footage with my media browser to std .avi. I get something that looks like VHS quality, instead of something that looks like SVHS quality.

I can get the image to 4x3 letterbox like the broadcasters do. I think due to the different customers, this is the correct size.

My next test is to play the blu-ray to my dv-cam tape and put the tape version in the computer to generate the std DVD.

thx
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Trustee

I can't say for sure what the specific problem might be, but in general it is well known that CS4 does a poor job of rescaling HD to SD. This can result in difficulty getting a good looking DVD.
With CS4, I would always render out a master HD movie and use a third party encoder (ProCoder 3 in my case) to get the best DVD encode.
The situation is vastly improved in CS5 and I'm getting good results from within the Adobe software.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey David....

CS4 does a fine job of downconverting progressive footage..
You'll need to show the settings from AME, and let us see all the options that were checked..
Screenshots work the best..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite