1080i footage, is this correct ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

1080i footage, is this correct ?

I am trying to understand interlaced 1080i .

I am editing footage from a Sony fx 7 .It records at 1080i. When I capture in premeire I set up my project as HDV 1080i 30 (60i). I do the same for creating new sequences. However, upon export I notice intelacing jaggies.

Previously I created my projects as 1080p 30, and did not notice a problem. However , I think that is an incorrect setup due to the footage being 1080i ??

What are the correct settings for creating the project and new sequences within the project.

Thanks in advance !
Eric Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Trustee

If your source footage is HDV 1080x1440 60i, then you would normally use sequence & project settings that are identical to those parameters.
You said that you noticed interlace artifacts "upon export"- what format were you exporting to??
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

in response to what format ?

I am exporting through Adobe Media Encoder to MPG Blu-ray. Should I Deinterlace in Premeire prior to export ?
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Did you see interlacing jaggies on your computer's monitor? If so, it's because computer displays that are natively progressive-scan do a particularly poor job of deinterlacing. Those jaggies should not appear on an HDTV set that has good-quality deinterlacing. But if those jaggies show up on even a good HDTV set, something's awry with your workflow.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

jaggies

I noticed them in Adobe Media Encoder ( output) while scrubbing the clip. I guess I'll output to a BD-R and evaluate on my lcd tv. Thanks.
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kovacs View Post
I noticed them in Adobe Media Encoder ( output) while scrubbing the clip. I guess I'll output to a BD-R and evaluate on my lcd tv. Thanks.
That would be the absolute best way to see what sort of image quality you really have.
Previewing video on the computer is always subject to various shortcomings that impact the image fidelity, motion rendering, etc.
It would not surprise me that it looks amazing on BR HDTV.
Whenever I am doing a project destined for BR, I always burn out draft versions on a rewriteable BD & view on HDTV for quality control & feedback on the project.
Good luck...

Last edited by Robert Young; December 28th, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Robert Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite