Interesting Dualeyes issue - No audio in Adobe products at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 18th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Interesting Dualeyes issue - No audio in Adobe products

I debated whether to place this in the Audio forum or here, but since it seems to be related to Adobe products, I choose here. I've contacted Singular Software about my issue as well, but I thought it would help to see if anyone else is having issues like this.

I'm editing a feature film shot dual system in CS5. I'm testing Dualeyes to replace the reference audio recorded in camera with the 48k 24bit audio record separately. Unfortunately I started editing using the reference audio instead of syncing sound before I started editing so my workflow is different than Singular Software suggests.

The replacement went fine. I know this because the original audio was all left channel with no audio on the right channel. The synced files play back in both channels in Windows Media Player.

After the sync was successful I moved the original files to a new folder and renamed the synced files back to the original file names so that when I open the project in Premiere, the new media would open in the program without having to reconnect/replace every single piece of media in the timeline, a trick I used in the old days when editing individual clips in After Effects. The media does open, but no audio. At that point I opened several files manually in Soundbooth. Same issue. Then I testing in a brand new Premiere timeline. Same issue.

Dualeyes is supposed to replace the original reference audio with the good audio by creating a new clip. If the audio is truly being replaced I figured renaming the files should work without issue.

Anyone having similar issues with Dualeyes? Perhaps there’s a different issue here that’s related to CS5 and renamed files?

Thanks.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've been obsessing over this all day and have finally come to a theory.

I was playing with the synced files thinking it had something to do with how Adobe conforms the audio when it's brought into a project. The synced files were not re-conforming as I thought they should. Then I noticed that in the file metadata the audio was still listed as 48k 16bit stereo just as it was when it was originally imported with the in-camera audio. The audio I synced is 48k 24bit mono. Hmmmmm.....

At first I thought this was a conforming thing within Premiere but when I opened the files in Soundbooth it was the same. Then I checked the file in Bridge, same thing. With this info I desided to process my audio from 48k 24bit mono to 48k 16bit stereo to match the metadata the file contained. I then ran Dualeyes again using the original video files and the newly processed audio files.

BAM! It worked! When I opened the Premiere project all the files reconformed. I got waveforms and the new audio is just as it should be. This has to be a metadata thing. Premiere and Soundbooth must not have known how to process the data because the actual sound didn't match the metadata.

I don't know if I'm in a minority recording audio at a higher bitrate than the camera can record, but I can't imagine that I am. Or perhaps this is the result of a combination of Cineform and Dualeyes. I don't think this has anything to do with my messed up workflow. Importing the synced files into a brand new timeline results in the same issue.

I'll update this again once I hear back from Singular Software.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite