Media cache files do I check the box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 21st, 2011, 01:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Media cache files do I check the box

I am trying to optimize my system and under the preferences under media it is set to the default on the C: drive. Here is my setup I have a 1TB C:\ for OS and programs and four 1TB drives setup Raid 5 which is my D:\ drive and 24GB of Ram. If I understand correctly I should set my Media cache files and Media cache Database to the D:\ drive? If I check Save media files next to originals dose this do the same thing? Also with 24GB of ram what and where should I set my pagefile to?
Kenneth Maultsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think you should definitely set both to your D drive. I couldn't figure out why my C drive was filling up until I found the huge media cache database and all the associated files. I would not necessarily check the "next to originals" box unless you want all these files stuffed into your project directory.

Harm and I had an interesting discussion about the pagefile a while ago and his feeling, if I recall correctly, is that you don't need a huge pagefile if you have that much RAM, and in fact you may want a smaller one to force Windows to use the physical RAM rather than the slower swapfile. But I may have misunderstood.
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Trustee

Adam,

Memory management in PR CS5 has improved significantly and with 24 GB of RAM will not be used often. I would suggest as a maximum a 12 or 24 GB static file, but if it is rather unusual to have all AE, AI, EN, PR and PS open at the same time it could well be reduced to around 8 - 12 GB. If the OP uses the on-board IHCR controller, it may as well be on the C drive but with a dedicated controller better on the D drive.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks again.
Kenneth Maultsby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite