DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Default Transitions in Premiere (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/492327-default-transitions-premiere.html)

Gerald Webb February 26th, 2011 08:33 PM

Default Transitions in Premiere

Hey Boys and Girls,
Long time Vegas user here having a crack at Premiere CS5, (and loving it I might add, :)
My question,
I've applied a heap of additive dissolves to my transitions, all at a length of 1 sec/ 25 frames,
now decided I'd like to change them all to 8 frames only.
Is there a way to select all transitions and change them?
Is there a way set Control D to apply an 8 frame additive dissolve as default.
Also,
Am I the only one that has After Effects crash when its left open while working in Premiere? Just crashes all on its own in the background. And therefore any linked clips that have been edited from Premiere in AFX go offline and you cant get them back.

Kevin Currie February 27th, 2011 02:54 AM

Re: Default Transitions in Premiere

You can make any transition the default just by right-clicking on the effect in the effects panel and choosing Set as Default. To change the default length, you need to do it in the Preferences. Edit>Preferences>General.
Not 100% sure, but if the transitions have already been placed on the timeline, I think you have to change each one separately.

Gerald Webb February 27th, 2011 03:19 AM

Thanks Kevin, that got a few things sorted.

Would anyone know why Premiere has to rebuild all 122 ( 122 clips in project ) audio peak files every time it opens? Did I miss something in preferences to enable saving of generated waveforms?

Also, I just had to manually Link the AFX modified clips to their AFX save files upon reopening Premiere, is this normal? Not a problem when there is 2 but if you had a heap you wouldnt want to have to do it every time.

Gerald Webb February 28th, 2011 12:30 AM

also, is there a way to apply FX to a whole track?
Say, some curves to all clips on one track?
if not, what would you do, do one clip then copy the FX, highlight all and paste?

Adam Gold February 28th, 2011 12:45 AM

That's one way, or you could nest the sequence.

Gerald Webb February 28th, 2011 07:03 PM

Thanks Adam,
So by nesting a sequence you turn it into one event and can therefore apply FX to the whole thing, yeah?
Is it the same as precompose in After Effects where you can still go back in if you want to make changes?

Still cant find a way to disable Generating peaks to all audio files in project every time it opens, even audio that isnt on the timeline.
anyone?

Adam Gold February 28th, 2011 11:55 PM

Yes, a nested sequence is treated as a single clip, and you can apply effects either to it or to your original source timeline, and those changes will be reflected in the nested sequence.

The whole re-conforming/generating peak file thing comes up from time to time and I've had it happen to me. There have been a lot of solutions posted but none ever worked for me. The only solution I found was to delete the clips from the bin (without letting them be deleted from the disk -- very important) and then re-import them. This may not be practical for every situation, though. Make sure if you try this you have a backup copy to revert to if something goes wrong -- deleting the clip references from the Project Bin may eliminate/destroy all the edits that involve those clips. (Confirmed -- this will delete any instances of these clips from the edited timeline, so not something you want to do if they've been used. Another thing to try that's less destructive -- go to the clips in question in the bin and Unlink them while leaving the files on th disk, the re-link them. This may clear out whatever it was that was causing them to re-conform every time.)

IIRC, other solutions included choosing Run as Administrator when you open Premiere, or going to Preferences > Media and unchecking the boxes dealing with XMP metadata files. Neither of these solutions did anything when I tried them but they may work for you. Also, I wonder what would happen if you "Save a Copy" of your project or create a new project and import the old one into it. The latter method used to work to clear funny business in CS3.