DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere CS5: Vista to Windows 7 Issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/492424-premiere-cs5-vista-windows-7-issue.html)

Charlie Durand February 28th, 2011 04:37 PM

Premiere CS5: Vista to Windows 7 Issue

Hey there,

So I've been using Premiere Pro CS5 on my Vista 64 computer for a while now. The results were fine, no issues to report.

The hardware wasn't i7, and my video card needed updating to take advantage of the MPE/GPU stuff so I build a new computer and install Windows 7 x64.

Everything seems to work just fine, and a lot faster, with the exception that my exported work doesn't look as good as it does on my old Vista computer. Specifically the exported video looks blurry. DVD's really show it but hi-def stuff is fuzzy too.

No idea what I could be doing wrong. Has anyone seen this before?

Charlie Durand

Jay West March 1st, 2011 11:50 AM

Have not seen this particular issue, but it might not be just one thing. I had some of questions that might help you sort out the blurry footage.

1. It sounds like you are playing your DVDs on the new system's computer monitor rather than a tv set. Is that correct? Ifso, are your videos interlaced or progressive? If interlaced and you have not yet done so, try watching them on a tv. If they look better on a tv, your problem may be with the computer software translation of interlaced video to progressive monitor which can sometimes soften or screw up images.

2. Since installing CS5 on the new system, have you checked PPro's playback settings? (The playback settings are accessed by clicking on the tiny icons in the upper right corner of the source and timeline monitors.) I recently had to do a complete Win 7 reinstall. The reinstalled PPro CS5 defaulted to playback at ½ resolution, which really made things seem blurry on playback from the timeline until I remembered to re-set the playback resolution. Also, check the player settings to be sure if you are displaying both fields.

3. As for blurry from an interlaced DVD played to a tv, you might check the export settings from PPro to Encore (assuming you are making your disks in Encore). When I reinstalled PPro and CS5, I found that media encoder settings for all NTSC video encoding were defaulting to "lower field first." However, HDV and AVCHD are upper field first.

Charlie Durand March 1st, 2011 12:05 PM

Re: Premiere CS5: Vista to Windows 7 Issue

At first they were blurry inside of PPro CS5.. then I found the resolution settings you mention.

But when I export out of CS5 to m2v format they were blurry on my computer. So I made a DVD (in Encore as you correctly assumed) and it's blurry on the TV as well.

I do the same thing on the Vista set up and it all looks good.

They are both set to "lower field first" as a matter of fact. I will try setting it to upper field first to see if that makes a difference but the fact this isn't set to upper on the "working" Vista installation leads me to think that isn't the problem.

Robert Young March 1st, 2011 05:55 PM

Re: Premiere CS5: Vista to Windows 7 Issue

I agree with Jay that the problem lies with the various settings within PPro & is nothing related to the operating system.
If your burned DVD displays poor quality images on a TV monitor, and your original footage quality was good, that tells me that the problem is with the transcode process- a setting is incorrect/suboptimal, etc.