options in order to use a Reference Monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 1st, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Major Player

options in order to use a Reference Monitor?

I use premiere pro cs5 and am looking for a way to view HD on a reference monitor/hdtv I have a video card that has HDMI out but i don't believe that would work the way a reference monitor should work correct?
so what are the options for $300 or less. thanks
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: options in order to use a Reference Monitor?

I'm not sure precisely what you mean by "reference monitor", but the HDMI out from the graphics card will certainly work well with an HDTV.
If you hook it all up & turn it on, set the video card for "dual screen" output, then go to the Playback Settings in PPro and set the external monitor settings appropriately, you will get full screen playback on the monitor from the timeline, source and program monitor play, and clip preview playback in the Project Panel.
A true reference monitor will work the same if it accepts HDMI.
If it only accepts Display Port connection you may need to obtain an HDMI/DP cable/adapter.
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: options in order to use a Reference Monitor?

I'm looking into these two monitors to do color correction on when using FCP 7. I mainly do wedding videos that go to Blu-ray and DVD.

I have a recent Mac Pro Quad Core / ATI Radeon HD 5770.

Right now I'm using 2 consumer monitors but want to replace my LG with one of the two options below..

Will these do the job. I don't want to have to upgrade till the monitor is dead or obsolete.

1. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676418-REG/NEC_PA241W_BK_MultiSync_PA241W_BK_24_Widescreen.html
2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/706684-REG/Eizo_S2433WH_BK_FlexScan_S2433WH_BK_24_1_LCD.html

Do I need a video card and do I get "10-bit" playback on the calibrated monitor?

Please add any additional info that I may want to know.

Thanks!
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite