How to do THIS dissolve in Premiere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 31st, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Major Player

How to do THIS dissolve in Premiere?

How can I do this dissolve/transition in Premiere? What do you call it? A bloom of some sort?

Hulu - Supernanny: Froebrich Family - Watch the full episode now.

It occurs 3 times in the first minute. At:

0:21
0:30
0:35

Oh, and poor kid's ear at 0:52, but that's for a different discussion. OUCH!
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to do THIS dissolve in Premiere?

For those who don't want to watch a whole 15 seconds of commercials (or those outside US and Canada who can't watch Hulu), I'm posting some screen grabs, but they don't do the transition the same justice as watching the actual video, but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about in this series of stills.
Attached Thumbnails
How to do THIS dissolve in Premiere?-dissolve5.png   How to do THIS dissolve in Premiere?-dissolve6.png  

How to do THIS dissolve in Premiere?-dissolve7.png   How to do THIS dissolve in Premiere?-dissolve8.png  

How to do THIS dissolve in Premiere?-dissolve9.png  
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Something like this:

I took this render from C4D/AE and just slowed down the transition to make it easier to see.

Here is the original render:

Don't mind the quality of the 3D model as this was my very first C4D project 1.5yrs ago :)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:29 PM   #4
Trustee

May be doing it the hard way, but I did manage to make a quick dupe of this by doing this:

Razor two butting clips at the points you want the transition to start and end.
In the first clip, apply brightness and contrast keyframing from 0 to 100 for each effect starting at the front of the first subclip and going to the end of the first subclip. Apply Gaussian Blur to suit (maybe 25%) in the same fashion, key frame 0 to 25. You are now mid-point in the transition.

On the second clip, apply brightness and contrast starting at 100 and keyframing to 0 at the end of the clip. (Remember we are talking about a razored clip, this would be the second razored section that is the downhill side of the transition) Likewise start with 25% blur and keyframe to 0 at the end of the transistion clip. Works pretty well and takes much less time to actually do than to describe..btw ...I tried "dip to white" but it didn't work as well....

A very quick and dirty .mov sample attached...the transition probably needs to be longer but I needed to keep the file small....the screen capture shows the setup used in the second clip....the nice part is that, once you have the two effects set up as you like them, you can save them for future use (contol-click the brightness, contrast and blur title bars in the effects window to select them, right click in the window, select Save Preset and give each of the two effects a name, they will show up in your presets menu. I called mine Color Blur In and Color Blur Out....
Attached Thumbnails
How to do THIS dissolve in Premiere?-screen.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov Sequence 01.mov (10.86 MB, 186 views)

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; April 1st, 2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Battle. That's JUST what I was looking for!

I tweaked it a bit more and made it perfect (at least in my opinion and for my needs).

I took your advice, but for me I took the brightness to 100 and the contrast only up to 80. 100 in the contrast pushes the colors too extreme for me, but it IS exactly the same as in example clips, so you were RIGHT ON!

Instead of a gaussian blur, I used a fast blur with the "repeat edges" check on.

Finally, I added a standard cross dissolve over the whole thing and I think that really polishes it up and smooths over the jump very nicely.

Thanks again for your help. You NAILED IT!
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Oh yeah. And when you save your preset, be sure to have it anchor to end point for the first clip (in point for second clip) and you don't have to razor cut the transition point. Just apply it to the whole clip and save the cutting step. The effect will only occur on the 15 frames before and after the transition (or the number of frames you set your keyframes at. 15+15 seem to look just right for me. Plus the cross dissolve is defaulted at 30 frames, so it works great).

This whole effect can be applied in about 5 seconds once you have the presets in place.

Kudos to Battle!
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Trustee

Just FYI, the transition I used was in AE CS4 but CS5 does not have it.
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Trustee

Glad it worked for you, Lloyd, I like the tweaks you made. Cheers!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Based on Battle's suggestions, I put together a quick tutorial for anyone else wanting to do this. It's a bit sloppy, but you'll get the point.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Trustee

I added this transition to Premiere as well but I found something odd: even with a zero keyframe on a clip, my i7 CPU maxes out at 100% during playback with just the Fast Blur In. When I disable the effect, my CPU only uses 11% during playback.

Come on Adobe. Can't you write some solid code?
Old April 16th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey loyd... nice tutorial on presets... I learned a couple things there... thanks...

also, I found the transition you were origianaly asking about... I just upgraded to Vitascene 2 on a lead here in DVinfo and sure enough there in the transitions of Vitascene 2 there are around 5 different versions of the transition you were asking about...

here's the site for you... proDAD VitaScene Beispiele
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Vitascene has some very good transitions
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite