Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 announced as paid update - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 announced as paid update

You know, Brian, if you feel for any reason that you can't handle the new awesomeness then I'm here to help. I'm right behind you, man! :-P

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Currie View Post
I have a few quick questions. I didn't read this whole article, but I've gone over a few others that were specific to PPro and AE, so I hope I'm not asking questions that were covered above.

1. What about Encore? Other than the ability to author blu-rays, I haven't noticed many changes in Encore in the last few versions. Are there any 5.5 upgrades planned, or do we keep our fingers crossed for CS6?

2. As far as I can tell, the CS5.5 versions can only be obtained by purchasing one of the suites. Photoshop and InDesign are the only ones that can be bought seperatly. (at least that's what I gleam from the Adobe site) What if I can wait to get Production Premium CS6, but really want the new After Effects CS5.5 features now?

Thanks! :)

1. No upgrades to Encore for 5.5

2. Premiere and After Effects can both be upgraded individualy. If you are coming from CS5 the cost is $179 for each respective program.

Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #18

You can also start renting the software for a time period as well (ie rent for a month for a special project). This might help if you have a special project needing that killer feature they added.

Andrew
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #19
Trustee

What is the upgrade cost coming from Master Collection CS5?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Hi John,

Unfortunately you've bought before the announcement and thus no complimentary upgrade for you. I feel for you. Guess they need to draw the line somewhere, though.

One very impressive thing about the CS5.5 suite is that you can take all your audio clips straight to Audition and do your audio work there, with the results coming back in to Premiere as a "flattened" single item on the audio timeline. Very very impressive.

Take a look: Adobe Technology Sneaks 2011 - Sneak-Preview of Adobe Audition | Adobe TV

Andrew
Sorry if I wasn't clear -- I am impressed in that Adobe proactively offered me the upgrade for free and did not require me to ask for it.
John Isgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #21

Ahh, even better. Adobe really are a pretty good company.

Andrew
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #22

FWIW, here's the info page on complimentary upgrades.

Upgrade eligibility after new product announcement

People who purchased just prior to the announcement can be eligible for a complimentary upgrade to CS5.5.

Andrew
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Well, I guess I'm the only one thats going to throw the BS flag....

I normally upgrade my suites... but just now looking at what you don't get, I think I will pass on this one...

most of the programs in the suite stay at 5.0.. so no advantage there...

I like using Mercalli for stabilization... looks like it still has more control than the new one Adobe has.

and its not a cheap upgrade... looks to me they added support for iphone,ipad and stuff like that...
a speed up is nice but again, its not a cheap upgrade...

Think I'm passing on this one...

and it seems that Adobe has said that they will ugrade the packages each year.. so it sounds like they are going to upgrade half of the suite this year and charge you and then upgrade the other half of the suite next year, and charge you again... so that way they can maintain revenue streams all year long and your paying each year for incrementals to the suite....

as an example... if I upgrade to 5.5 this year, its $400 and then when they upgrade the other programs next year its going to be another $400... so my full suite upgrade for all programs is going to cost me $800... not to mention upgrading plug in costs so they work on newer versions of Adobe products...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #24
Trustee

Yeah, I was just doing the math too.
The big unknown will be what they will charge for CS6- will there be a differential between upgrading from CS5 vs from CS5.5?
I'm sure things will get a little more complicated going forward.
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #25
Wrangler

A couple of us at DVinfo had a very nice small group discussion with some senior Adobe reps at NAB. They did confirm very specifically that they are changing from a major release every 18 months to 2 years, with these less complete, incremental releases in the alternate years. Their rationale for this timing change is this:

Technology advances and changes unevenly. Not every app needs to be extensively rewritten every year, but we all clamor for certain things they CAN develop and release more quickly. And they want to do that. The new schedule allows them to more quickly provide significant updates like those we see in PPro and AE 5.5 that will definitel enhance the suite. (Personally, I can't tell you just HOW excited I am about seeing a new, completely rewritten, 64-bit Audition back in the suite, not to mention the enhance AE tools and expanded set of GPU-enabled effects).

As far as the pricing, of course we are all sensitive to how that will play out. I believe that the Adobe folks know customers won't stand for significant increases in price. It's not like nobody is going to notice, eh? Speculation on my part: the per-year cost will remain about the same. What did an 18-month upgrade from CS4 MC to CS5 MC cost? About $1200-1300. What is a 12 month 5.5 upgrade from 5 going to cost? It's $549. Even if the major release next year is a hundred or two more (hopefully not, but...well, we don't know, do we?), the annualized cost would still be LESS than it has been.

So given the currently available info and doing the math, there is no cause to raise the BS flag at this time.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Well Pete... thanks for the reply.. but upgrading from CS4 to CS5, was a heck of alot more than $1200 for me... heck, just my plug-ins alone cost more than $1200 to get them to play with the new CS5... and many many plug-ins still are not brought up to CS5 standards.. like Red Giant and many others... So now I have had to upgrade my workstations to Windows 7, new hard drives, more memory so I can upgrade to CS5 64bit. I'm not sure how you guys did it for $1200 but it sure wasn't for me... and yes, I did enjoy the benefits of moving from a CS4 to a 64bit platform CS5 but again
it cost me an arm and a leg... try telling your customers that you need to raise the price of your productions because your moveing hardware and software to 64bit... the customer don't care, they still get the same end product... I'm sure the Adobe boys think they have it all figured out but for some of us
the expense is killing the thrill of the game...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #27
Wrangler

Let's please keep our discussions polite. I've removed some off-topic name calling about an old version.

The upgrade prices from CS4 to CS5 are a matter of record. If you spent a whole bunch of money on other stuff, that was your decision to make. It just isn't right to blame Adobe for those third party software costs, or if some other companies took a while to release plug ins that you use, nor to roll your new computer costs into the CS5 to 5.5 discussion. I can't vouch that this will definitely, always be true, but I'd think that the longer, two year life of a main release would generally also extend the life of most plug ins and help keep seat costs down for those who do use a lot of plug ins.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #28
Trustee

For me, the CS4 to CS5 era represented a huge jump in both hardware and software functionality.
It was definitely expensive, but I hardly blame it on Adobe.
Virtually everything moved ahead decisively at about the same time
XP/Vista 32 to Win7 64, Intel Quad to Intel i7, 4 GB RAM to 24GB, from DI editing to Native Formats, ordinary GPUs to CUDA + MPE.
I imagine it may be a while before we experience such a confluence of core changes again.
AND- since1920 HD is what I mostly edit, and these current systems and software finally do it like a dream, I do feel like I can just sit tight for quite a while now if I choose to :)
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #29

I feel the pain with upgrades too. In Australia I've just forked out $1430 to upgrade my Design Premium CS2 to the current CS5 version. And it was that much because my software had an Aussie serial number and thus the $800 upgrade in the USA store wouldn't have worked. Yea, I wasn't the happiest.

But in the big scheme of things it's excellent value compared to purchasing the software individually. It's also a minor thing compared to the income we derive from the editing work that we do.

Andrew
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #30
Major Player

I'm with Robert on this... the step up from CS4 to CS5 was a quantum leap. Not just with the 64-bit, but the MPE. And I didn't ever have any major issues with CS4, other than how slow it was to deal with DSLR footage, transcode to Cineform, etc. CS5 was a clear game-changer. Same Day Edits (SDE's) are now the norm for me.

OTOH, after spending a few days with CS5.5, I can say that it's just an incremental upgrade. The Warp Stabilizer in AE is clearly the "big dog" here... but I try not to shoot bad footage in the first place. I have noticed quite a big change with MPE smoothness on playback with CS5.5, but I have a VERY old CPU (a Q6000 that's just limping along). I'm not sure if modern i5 or i7 core users would notice as much. Would I spend a few hundred on the upgrade, had Adobe not given me the suite? I'm not sure I would.

That said, it's good that people here are talking about the cost of the software now, especially since Apple fired a shot across Adobe and Avid's bows the other night with the new FCP retailing for $299. They're clearly trying to make inroads into the consumer market moving forward, and increase their market share in the software arena (which will then increase their hardware sales).

As a die-hard Adobe "fanboy", I had hoped that the dearth of FCP updates over the past year, and Adobe's aggressive marketing to the FCP disgruntled generally and DSLR shooters specifically, would help them regain some market share on the Apple platform that they lost when they temporarily decided to go PC-only with PPro 1.0 through CS3 (I believe). We'll have to see how this pans out with a new FCP on the horizon.

For those of us that make a living with our software, I think a few grand every few years is a pittance if we get the huge step up in performance and functionality that we got with CS5. As with our production gear, we'll have to keep upgrading our post hardware and software to stay competitive and on the front edge of the price/performance curve.

The Adobe suite gives me a bevy of post production tools from a single vendor that is unmatched in the industry. To go from NLE, to compositing, to DVD authoring without a single intermediate render is extremely powerful for the "time is money" argument. For that reason, I'm a very loyal, and very happy Adobe user.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite