How do you do this edit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Major Player

How do you do this edit?

Hey, this is probably a simple thing, but I'm wondering how the edit was done between the first two shots where it transitions from them on the ledge to below it. It's completely seamless. Thanks in advance!

Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How do you do this edit?

It's not a transition. Probably shot off a tripod, he relocated them to different areas of the bench. Once it was shot, there would be numerous ways to create the effect.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Rob, I know it's not a "transition" in Premiere, I meant, how do I transition between the two shots so seamlessly? It's as if he panned the camera and there was an identical couple sitting next to them. I don't see any crossfade.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Just a guess:
Shot seperately, used a still from the clips and did a split screen.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

It's cute effect. My guess as to how - the shot was filmed very wide, so that both seating positions are in frame. Tha camera is locked off for the two takes. Then it's just a matter of splitting the screen, feathering the line, precomposing, then doing a pan and scan to move from one couple to the other. Probably easier to do in After Effects than Pr.

The problem with this way is the loss of resolution, but it might not be so noticeable with the titles and all.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

^^

That's how I was gonna say I thought they did it. And it does look like some resolution loss. I'd say I'd be safe doing this if the native resolution was going to be a 16:9 SD video, but if it was outputting to HD then I wouldn't have zoomed in this far because that would have been very noticeable to me.

It's also possible it was shot with 2 different locked off shots and then blended that way, but usually panning and tilting with the camera can cause some lens distortion.
Ryan Czaplinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Major Player

It would be fairly easy in AE. Most likely a combination of what Ann & Bill mentioned. 1st shoot the couple wide shot all the way to the left. 2nd shoot the couple wide all the way to the right. It would then be easy to create an extra wide composition (to make it easy to line up the clips) and the footage in the middle would match up seamlessly. Parent the 2nd clip to the first clip, set your key frames and change the composition back to the originally shot settings and tweak it from there. Seamless transition.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite