Need computer component suggestions for new editing system - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 12th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Need computer component suggestions for new editing system

I ended up getting the Nine Hundred Two V3 case, which has 9 drive bays, as the earlier version was somewhat hard to find. I built the computer last night, and strangely enough, it worked first time! :-) Well, almost...

I started installing Windows 7, and the installer said it couldn't format the hard drive. When I looked at what the installer was looking at, I saw that it couldn't detect any drives in the system (there was only one, the 10,000 RPM WD Velociraptor, installed on the first of two 6gb/s SATA connectors).. After a reboot, it was able to see the drive again and the installation of the base Windows 7 system completed.

After installing Windows 7, I went to update the motherboard, GPU and sound drivers, and the computer kept freezing, and then randomly rebooting. It got to the point where I couldn't boot at all. I reinstalled Windows, twice more, but it became more and more flaky.

Ultimately, I realized the hard drive was not working properly. I sent it back this morning, and installed Windows on a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive I had lying around. This installation went smooth as silk, confirming that the earlier diagnosis of a bad drive was correct. I'll go through the entire process again when the new 10,00 RPM Velociraptor arrives.

The system seems pretty snappy (24GB RAM and a GTX 570 helps!), but the bottleneck definiately is the hard drive at this time.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #17
Major Player

Just wanted to update people on my new computer system...

I'm still running it with a 500GB 7200 RPM hard drive as the only drive in the system, until my Velociraptor arrives from Newegg (probably Monday or Tuesday).

On my old computer (Dell XPS 720, Windows 7 Ultimate, 4GB RAM), using CS5.5 Trial, it took nearly 2 hours to render a 2 minute Canon 5D mk II native MOV sequence to a Youtube HD CS5.5 preset H.264 video, -not- including the time it took to Warp Stabilize a 30 second clip (from AE)!

My new system, with the slow single hard drive, rendered a *16* minute segment, -including- a 30 second Warp Stabilized clip (from AE)... in 13 minutes!

I haven't tried to overclock the system at all. Not sure I'm smart enough to do that! :-)
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
I haven't tried to overclock the system at all. Not sure I'm smart enough to do that! :-)
Haha, I'm the same way! I am very tempted to attempt to overclock, but I'm wondering if I'm pushing the boundaries of my knowledge/abilities a little too far in that regard.

This is the first computer I've ever built, and I'm just happy the thing works.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite