how can I get my missing frame back? mts and CS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how can I get my missing frame back? mts and CS4

Well, I'm a frustrated Production Premium CS4 (4.2.1) user.

Sadly, I discovered what appears to be a problem many others have encountered... a bad frame at the end of an mts clip.

I've imported the entire directory from the memory card via media browser and all is well until I butt together two consecutive .mts files. The last frame of the first file shows a green frame and has no audio. I can cut the frame -which is a painful option-, spend more money which hurts a lot, or hope that someone has found some sort of work-around that is not nearly as painful as either of the above.

I've posted a similar question at Adobe. So far it's not looking too good. I'm hoping there's someone out there who knows of some way to avoid more pain. I'm sick thinking that I have to upgrade/spend more money in order to edit AVCHD from my Canon camera in Adobe.

Will Cineform do anything for me with this issue? What about some sort of program that unites all the mts files into one so that there are no "seams" in the video? Anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks
Kent Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: how can I get my missing frame back? mts and CS4

I assume that when you write "butt together two consecutive .mts files" you have done a shooting that is longer than approx 20 minutes.

No, CineForm won't fix this issue for you. AFAIK it not even their plan to support joining of consecutive clips in future releases.

However, MTSMerger.exe can join two or more consecutive clips successfully: http://vontraining.net/download. Download it and try it. I have used it when i used CS4. :)

It can be fixed manually as well in Windows:
1. Press WIN+R
2. Type cmd and press Enter
3. Navigate to the folder where the files are located
4. Type copy 00000.mts /b + 00001.mts /b + 00002.mts /b output.mts
5. Press Enter
6. Wait until it is done. (It takes several minutes to complete.)

FYI, Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5 fix it automatically for you.
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i use this when this happens (usually on long interviews where the file break into two or more pieces).

It's free btw
MTS File Joiner

This joins the mts files perfectly without the missing/dropped frame in the middle. Plus it just joins them together wit no compression so it's the same raw file and the whole proccess takes just a couple of seconds. Just make sure they're named in the order they should go and the programs does the rest.
Iker Riera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses Roger and Iker. Yes, the multiple mts files are a result of shooting longer than approx 20 minutes. I'm very encouraged by your suggestions. I will give these a try and hopefully all will be well.

I'll report back when I'm done

Thanks
Kent Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Follow-up: I did the copy command the video played properly... no frame or audio problems.

I then used the MTSMerger program and it did the job... no frame or audio problems.

I then tried MTS File Joiner. Again, it worked as promised... no frame or audio problems.

Thanks for pointing these solutions out to me.

Kent
Kent Fraser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite