Geforce vs Quadro_fast vs affordable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 27th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #1
New Boot

Geforce vs Quadro_fast vs affordable

My current 2007 store bought Gateway is showing its age, (specially after watching a friend edit in real time w' DSLR footage on his new machine.)
Don't ask my specs, they are awful! :-P

So I am going to build my own (finally!) I have pretty much spent the last week crash coursing how these things work, and gotten some excellent suggestions from the Eggxperts at Newegg forums.

The only thing I am still concerned about is the graphics card..

For a long time, quadro has been in the back of my head, specially as I also do a bit of 3D CAD in Solidworks. (They love quadro)

However, after spending today sifting thru the DVInfo forums, it appears a lot of folks are using Geforce series cards, and getting the kind of speed I am wanting. (Mercury engine, non choppy, hopefully close to real time play back of DSLR footage, and 2 minute vs 24hr renders, you get the drift? :-)

So my question, is it worth spending $750 + for this card. Newegg.com - PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Workstation Video Card

It sounds great, and all, but several reviews freak me out as they say you could cook an egg with it. Curious if anyone uses it, and if you think its worth the extra cash vs. the 570/580s,etc,

I did spend some time checking out the 70/80 cards, and noticed they cost roughly the same as another card I have been looking at:
Newegg.com - PNY VCQ2000-PB Quadro 2000 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

Any suggestions between the below choices? My planned usage is editing DSLR footage, hi poly count 3d renders (Think every bolt on a CAT machine), and loads of AE FX. I also like to load tons of layers/fx in Premiere.

Newegg.com - EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (Dosn't have to be this exact brand, I just searched it after bouncing around DVinfo all day)

Newegg.com - PNY VCQ2000-PB Quadro 2000 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

Newegg.com - PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Workstation Video Card

##

The below is what I am currently looking at (the graphics card is obviously still up in the air)
Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Thank you to all who read this. :-)
Julius Kuziemski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Geforce vs Quadro_fast vs affordable

I guarantee that maybe one other person besides me will recommend a Quadro because very few here use 3D modelling programs. I have a Quadro FX3800 in my HP Z800 to use with Cinema 4D AND get a 10bit output via Displayport to my 10bit Eizo monitor - something not possible with any Geforce.

Take a look at the link and you will see that Quadro is about 10x faster in Solidworks.
Performance Gaming Vs. Workstation: GeForce GTX 280 And Quadro FX 4800 : Nvidia Quadro FX 4800: Workstation Graphics At Its Finest?

I am guessing that any Quadro will be a major upgrade for you so the Quadro 2000 should work great. It is essentially my FX3800 with faster ram.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
AND get a 10bit output via Displayport to my 10bit Eizo monitor - something not possible with any Geforce..
Interesting that you mention that.
I was looking at third party hardware outputs for a future build, and found this article interesting.

This feature alone will save you some money.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
New Boot

Well bugger, I was just ready to really commit to the Quadro2000 when I ran across this....(& now I can't find the thread it went to,,, too many pages up full o' info, )

#####
Quote:
8. Aug 24, 2011 12:03 PM in response to: John T Smith
Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
If you want to see (while editing) 10-bit output or you you need the more video RAM like a 6 GB Video RAM Quadro 6000 for humongous still picture resolutions.you absolutely need a Quadro card. Otherwise it is a waste of money.

We have recently noticed in PPBM5 testing that with the new Sandy Bridge CPU's and motherboards running CS5.5 that using using a Quadro 2000 actually penalizes performance over a similar and even lower priced GTX cards.

End Quote:

#####

I wonder if I can stuff two graphics cards in, the 2000 for my 3D stuff, and another one (not sure which yet) for CS5....

Bleagh,, my brain is getting full, may I be excused?!?! :-P
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Trustee

That performance penalty might be 5% at most. It has been proven many times that Adobe does NOT utilize the GPU any where near its full potential. Having DDR5 ram is more important than more cores. At 192 cores in the Quadro 2000, more cores won't speed up much. Also, with MRQ enabled, the GPU is used even less.
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #6
New Boot

Thank you both for those links. They were quite informative, & more info to stuff in my head. (Gonna need my own set of fans soon.)

Last edited by Julius Kuziemski; August 27th, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for letting me know. I can only get so much from these crazy specs on all these tools.
Glad to hear its not a huge loss, as I was really not looking forward to trying to figure out a new card after finding the 2000. :-}

I think I can relax a little now. Thank you both for your kind assistance. Suppose I shall head over to Newegg & see how soon I can actually be productive again!
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #8
Trustee

I understand Steve Kalle's arguments for the Quadro in light of his use of 3D applications. However, BFTB-wise (Bang-for-the-buck), the Quadro range is overpriced and underperforming when 3D applications are not an issue.

Dual video cards are only an option if they use the same driver and that means no combo of GTX and Quadro.

The most economical choice currently is the GTX 570, that delivers better performance than a way more expensive Quadro 5000.

Have a look here: MPE Gain - PPBM5

The original thread Julius referred to is here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/894751?tstart=0

Last edited by Harm Millaard; August 30th, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #9
New Boot

Argh!Argh argh! .......haha....(Just send me to the nut house already!) :-P

Seriously, I have spent an entire week on this silly thing...bweeeheeeeheee, straight jacket please!

The build I am considering ordering tomorrow (just in case Newegg has any specials after the 31st) currently w' a Quadro2000D in it...
Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Still debating whether to go all black WD drives, or do a split between blue & black..at this point , they are really starting to look the same to me. And being as this will be the first computer I have had with, *Gasp* actual scratch drives, performance will probably be enhanced no matter what..

as far as the 570, 80, 90 choices go, I deliberated / am deliberating over this one. aiiee.... Thanks Harm!! ;-}

Newegg.com - MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

And would probably go w' it over a quadro, except that my work load does entail 3d work such as Solidworks, etc. so its a crazy split which has finally boiled down to I need to get this done & out of my hair. Suppose I have a few more hours to think about this....

Harm, thanks for that latest link. I am gonna bounce over an have a look at it , and debate this one last time...I suppose I could always build TWO computers, and really have my business partner (wife) go nuts over the tool budget that I have mangled ! (Kessler last month, 7D before that..actually,,the 7D was her idea! yay!

Edit..I must have been to that site when I was still sleep addled, as I totally missed that page last time..drat. its quite handy...well, kinda.lolz, now I am really wondering about doing a two computer build & just network em together. (Something else that would be new for me.)

Any last thoughts before I "jump" ?

My thanks to Harm, Steve & Peter, who were kind enough to input on this subject
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Trustee

Maybe something that will put you over the edge: support from PNY for Quadro is like nothing else in your computer. Most of the mark up is for support and optimized drivers. I have even heard of PNY or Nvidia making custom drivers for people who use multiple GPU intensive apps and own a Quadro.

Just stick with 1TB WD Black - they have a 5yr warranty.

Don't skimp on your PSU. I only use: PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic and Corsair. Seasonic is known for making quiet PSUs and Corsair is known for making excellent quality at an affordable price.

Do you own a UPS? To prevent catastrophic damage to your PC, a good UPS is a must. A minimum is this Newegg.com - CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS 1350VA / 810W PFC compatible Pure sine wave

I have a couple Cyberpower Pure Sine wave UPS's protecting my $10,000 HP Z800 system and a $15k server. With highly efficient PSUs, 'Pure Sine Wave' power is crucial in order to prevent the PSU from shutting off. HP released a warning to customers with 85% and up PSUs saying that a PSW UPS is required or the computer will shut off with mains power loss.

What sort of backup process do you have in place? This is the most crucial aspect to a computer system. I have now lost a 1TB raid array, 5 drives in the last 3 months and a 12TB 6-drive Raid 5 array (thanks to me being careless and removing a drive during the rebuild process rather than an empty enclosure to add another 2TB drive). Because I have 2 backup drives connected to my Z800 and several full drives on the shelf plus an exact duplicate of this array on my home PC, I have not lost any data - just time reloading data.

I prefer to use 2TB Seagate LP 5900rpm drives in the Retail box ($60 @ microcenter last week) because they are the cheapest 2TB with 5yr warranty. The key to buying Seagate now is to only buy their Retail version due to the 5yr warranty. I use some Antec external cases with fans built into them (for when I used 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm drives which ran hot). Just STAY AWAY from Macally cases. I have had 3 of their eSata cases die in less than a year. One of them was starting to die and ended up causing major BSODs on my Z800 which made me think my PC was broken. As soon as the case died and was replaced with the Antec, no more BSODs.
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks Steve,

I am liking the sound of those 5 years on the Blacks! what the heck, live once, time is precious.

I do have a APC ups.Thing weighs a ton, pulled from an industrial backup system.

Am looking at PSUs now....plus reading up on em to find out all the nitty gritty details. Not trying to skimp on this stuff, just basing decisions on recommended power needs (Eggxerpt forum suggested 500w would cover me..I am kinda leaning toward the 700 side of things, just to be safe) , reviews, having the 80+ mark, and, as long as its not skimping, in a budget of $70-150..But if thats just gonna buy me junk, I'll change that pronto...

just working at building the best w' the small knowledge I have, and somewhere in budget..:-)

Backup is all WD external drives on a shelf w' air cooling (fan).Not the fanciest thing, but..........I'll have a look at those SG drives. I've been using WD forever tho, even when they pulled the shinanigins w' their silly firmware locked backup bs..at least now, its easier to kill...Still, it'd be nice to get a few more drives & save some clams while I am at it. Thanks very much for the tip.
Julius Kuziemski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite