SD edit format? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 29th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Major Player

SD edit format?

We're shooting in HD, but editing in widescreen SD for final DVD.

I notice in PPro cs5.5 there are two formats for SD widescreen we could edit in: "widescreen DV" or "dvcpro50".

would there be an advantage to "dvcpro50"? again, it's shot in HD...

thanks
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: SD edit format?

It is generally reckoned to be better to edit in the HD format of the recording, and then down convert for authoring the DVD. Premiere has traditionally not been good at the down-conversion, and various ways of getting superior quality are descibed on the net.

I believe that the Media Encoder with CS5 is supposed to give better results than earlier versions.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Major Player

As for whether it is "thought to be better to edit HD in HD," I certainly agree with Alan. But opinions and needs differ. The available computer hardware also plays a role. For some folks, editing on an SD timeline can provide advantages for file size, render speed, etc. See this recent discussion:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-cr...etter-way.html

On the original question, DVCPro 50 is a Panasonic format that runs at double the standard DV data rate (meaning it is less compressed) and has a larger color space than standard DV. So, in theory, converting to DVCPro50 could be kind of like using Cineform intermediates and could make for more precise matching between different camera views. It also might help with high-motion-high-contrast footage (think dance performances in front of a dark curtain or mountain bike racing.) The one time I tried this, however, I did not really see any difference in the final output to DVD. Might have been the case that my footage was such that the increased bit depths didn't make any real difference. Might be that I did not look closely enough.

Since this may well be a "YMMV" situation, I suggest you take a recent project you did in SD, copy a timeline (that is "block and copy" not "nesting") and paste it into a new timeline using a DVCPro 50 preset. Then follow your usual workflow for going to DVD. See if you observe any differences in editing and render speeds, motion depiction, color matching.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Essentially you're only choosing the codec for rendered files, which you might choose not to use when exporting to DVD or anywhere else, so unless you're doing some heavy color correction and/or motion graphics, the answer is: it does not matter :)
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Trustee

Am I missing something here? The choice of sequence preset has NOTHING to do with exported files - only Preview files. It is nothing like Cineform where you convert your source footage to Cineform and then edit with the new Cineform files. What you are talking about is just a difference in rendered 'Preview' files.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Good point, Steve. I had leapt ahead and just assumed that he would be converting the footage before editing -- a kind of low grade stab at replicating some of what Cineform does. Simply using a DVCPro preset otherwise would not make any difference, as Bart so accurately points out, as well.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:45 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm using a widescreen SD project and timeline.

We're distributing on DVD, and the archival footage we're incorporating is non-widescreen SD, so it's working fine.

Thanks for all the replies ~
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite