DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Timeline to MPEG-2 ( non dvd spec) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/500353-timeline-mpeg-2-non-dvd-spec.html)

Bruce Pelley September 5th, 2011 11:05 AM

Timeline to MPEG-2 ( non dvd spec)

I’m struggling to understand why my attempts with Adobe Media Encoder is coming up empty handed as it should be relatively simple.

I have a HDV 16: 9 fully edited and rendered project on the timeline. I want to archive it at a very high quality as an MPEG –2 (not dvd spec) master file.

Every time I try to encode that project I come up with only about an 800 meg file (which looks like garbage) which was a surprise especially when the pre-estimate file size when output was projected to be in the vicinity of at least 25-30 gigs with the settings chosen.

So I’m guessing the settings must be the problem.

Maybe it’s the rate. Any idea what's happening or should be here?

What do I need to do to be successful?

At some point I will have a firewire card installed so I can export direct to tape.

Thanks so much.

Ann Bens September 5th, 2011 03:57 PM

Re: Timeline to MPEG-2 ( non dvd spec)

Have you tried one of the presets?

Peter Manojlovic September 5th, 2011 05:16 PM

Just to add to Ann...

Make sure that your in and out points are set correctly..Also, go to the top left tab, and look at the "output", and see if there isn't anything unusual happening..
What is your source file, and if you don't mind me asking, why Mpeg-2 non DVD?

Bruce Pelley September 5th, 2011 07:59 PM

The short answers are these.

I have sucessfully exported the project timeline's contents to MPEG for "master"/archival purposes to be stored on multiple hard drives before, so something odd is going on. Maybe something is corrupt. I was told & then read that MPEG specs for native HDV 16:9 (.m2t) 1080i NTSC 48k footage allows for a bitrate no higher than 60. so to be on the safe side I choose 30 which bombed after 2 + hours.

How do I put a picture/screenshot so it will be apparent and obvious what settings are failing?

Does DVinfo.net allow for that?

I use a custom setting and generally do not use stock presets.

Peter Manojlovic September 5th, 2011 11:16 PM

I like to get the menu on screen, and press "Print Scrn", and then open up paint (or photoshop), paste, crop and resize the image..
You should be able to upload without a problem..

Jeff Pulera September 6th, 2011 08:20 AM

Check out this blog - HD to SD DVD – Best Methods | Creating Motion Graphics Blog | Blu-Ray DVD Authoring Menu | Precomposed

Under the heading of "Exporting out of Premiere", there is a link to some presets for high-quality 4:2:2 MPEG-2 exports. I've used these and they work well for archiving HD projects.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Bruce Pelley September 6th, 2011 06:26 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the blog link.

Will try to get the most out of it that can be.

Appreciated!