Adobe Suite PRICING at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Adobe Suite PRICING

Hi all,

does anybody know why everything from Adobe cost less then half in US then it does in EU?
On Amazon for example the Production Premium costs 826 dollars but on EU sites of Amazon the Production Premium cost around 2.000 €. That's more than 2.500 dollars! On the Italy Amazon.it the Suite goes for 2.300€!

Anybody? Is there a reason why I shouldn't buy from the US Amazon or any other US store for that matter? Or directly from Adobe?

Thx
Br
S
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Adobe Suite PRICING

50% off is worldwide.
discount software | Adobe special offers
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

But only production premium, not for example the master collection.
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
Only if switching from Avid or Final Cut.

Amazon price doesn't say anything about switching...
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

With regular pricing, the USA Adobe store is about half what we would pay in Australia for the exact same product. I whole-heartedly recommend buying direct from the USA store.

Have the physical package delivered to a friend / forwarding company in the USA and then onwards to yourself.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Have the physical package delivered to a friend / forwarding company in the USA and then onwards to yourself.
And there won't be any problems regarding registration? I need the software to be registered to my company. And I would also like my company to buy the suite. If not I can't put it on the expense account of the firm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
With regular pricing, the USA Adobe store is about half what we would pay in Australia for the exact same product.
Yes. This is just outrageous.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Trustee

The only problem with buying from the US for non-US residents is that foreign credit cards are automatically refused by the Adobe store. I tried to order the MC CS5.5 from the US store and my credit card was refused. I had to get a US based company charge my credit card, order the MC from Adobe US, ship it to a friend, who then shipped it overseas.

Ridiculous and indeed the price difference (at least in my case) was about 100%. I spoke to one of the Adobe people at the IBC about this practice and he told me he knew and would take it up internally.

I wonder if it is even legal to discriminate legitimate buyers based on their country of origin?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
I wonder if it is even legal to discriminate legitimate buyers based on their country of origin?
Pharmacutical companies do it all of the time...

Last edited by Robert Young; September 22nd, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Ridiculous and indeed the price difference (at least in my case) was about 100%.
Even more then 100% price difference here! Production premium 820 dollars from Amazon and 2000€ from my local resellers!

Quote:
Apparently it is... I don't get it. US folks have a much better life standard then we do, and get all the equipment alot cheaper. I guess that's the thing that raises the standard...

It's really hard to start or even keep going a business here. And this prices aren't helping at all...
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger View Post
Only if switching from Avid or Final Cut.

Amazon price doesn't say anything about switching...
Looks to me Amazon already put in the discount

When upgrading an Adobe product you get the same discount from Adobe.
This special offer ends october 31.

I bought a copy in the USA, registrating is not a problem.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Regular Crew

A word of warning, be aware of your own countries import and custom laws. For example in Australia anything with a value over $1,000 is liable to a GST (government sales tax) of 10% and customs duty (0% on Software when I did it). Your parcel will be held by the Customs Department. To get it released you need to fill in numerous forms, have to chase up all the relevent Customs information and code numbers for yourself, supply reciepts and cash conversion as at the time of the purchase. The customs help personnel give no support for any of this and in my case the code number was left out of their official on-line catalogue (which after many phone calls - hours of punching in numbers and being on hold - I finally begged someone to check and was told just to put in the first couple of numbers, which was then refused by the next person up the food chain, and of course you never talk to the same person twice). The other complication is that you have to register as an importer (for yourself) and also register the supplier which includes getting information from them including contact names and phone numbers of their head staff, numerous addresses etc. You also then have to verify your identity and supply relevent documents. As this is all going through a Government Department..., need I say more. Having gone through this once it would have to be a gigantic saving for me to go through it again. Here, under $1,000 you're fine, over that get ready for the frustrations and headaches.

Last edited by Gregory Gesch; September 22nd, 2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spellin'
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM   #12

In my experience the credit card was accepted, no problems.

I was able to do my video Production Premium upgrade for $800 USD instead of $1440+ AUD, and being under the $1000 mark I had no issues with GST duty upon import.

I did note at the time that for a couple of hundred dollars more than the Aussie upgrade price I can purchase the full new suite at the American price. That's how obscene it really is when you consider that it's the exact same product.

With my Matrox MXO2 which I purchased through VideoGuys.com (tip of hat to Gary), there was GST payable on it which was calculated / lodged / handled automatically by the UPS freight people. Kind of miffed that customs charges the GST on the value of the purchase and the value of the freight and insurance.

I'd definitely keep my purchases under $1000 wherever possible. :-)

Andrew
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM   #13
Wrangler

The problem is usually import taxes that are levied by countries on a goods brought in from another country, even software sold over the internet but using a company registered to do business locally. Just ask the British, so close to B&H and yet sometimes it feels so far. Another example, in the Philippines, any new hardware you buy is generally 25% higher in price because of import taxes. Just trying shipping something there legally or simply ship it across the border from New York to Canada and watch what happens.

Countries with competitive practices like Hong Kong, Singapore, and yes even the United States, all have nearly similar pricing. But the sheer volume of sales in the U.S. really makes it one of best places to shop bar none.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM   #14

Whilst there is a comparatively minor tariff on software imports in Australia, I think the biggest issue is that Adobe feels the need to retain their traditional sales channel through Apple dealers and other software retail stores which need to have a 30% profit margin on what they sell. Hence the cost of Adobe software in Australia is higher in order to cover this.

Well, that's my theory on it. :-)

Andrew
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:44 AM   #15
Major Player

Now I'm really confused...is the promotional price only when switching or is it a general discount?
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite