Premiere CS5 an unkown error occured while opening project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 27th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere CS5 an unkown error occured while opening project

I've been working on a multi-cam sequence project in Premiere CS5. Last night there were a ton of issues with it requiring to be rendered in order to playback, even though previously it didnt require any rendering.
Today, I tried to open the project and it just won't open. I keep getting "an unkown error occured while opening project".
I have a lot of time invested in the project so far, and I dont want to start over.
Is there a way to recover the project?

I'm on Windows 7, Premiere CS5 5.03
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Premiere CS5 an unknown error occurred while opening project

Try creating a new project and importing the old project into it. If that doesn't work, try going to your Auto-Save location and opening one of your auto-saves, working backwards.

The rendering issues are likely unrelated. They're common, are likely related to audio, and have been discussed before.
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Premiere CS5 an unkown error occured while opening project

Adam, thanks.

I tried importing the project and I get 2 choices.
Import entire project - results in error.
Import selected sequences - results in a progress bar loading that never loads all the way. The progress bar has been halfway for about 2 hours.

I have Auto Save off because I always thought I could not go back to an edit if I chose to undo something but it was autosaved.

I might have to start from scratch.
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Re: Premiere CS5 an unkown error occured while opening project

If you have access to somebody with a different platform version of Premiere, try opening it there (PC if done one Mac, and vice versa). This sometimes fixed our problems. If you don't have anybody, pm me, I might be able to help you tomorrow.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Re: Premiere CS5 an unknown error occurred while opening project

Ooh, too bad about the autosave. It has autosaved my bacon many times. Turn it on and trust it. It will never hurt your ability to undo an edit.

This probably isn't it but it is possible you have a corrupt media cache database or rendered file somewhere.

Try this:

Open your new project and go to Project Settings. In one of the windows will be settings pertaining to media cache and media cache database locations. Change the locations (they shouldn't be on your C: drive anyway, which is where they default to. Premiere should ask you whether you want to move them or delete them. Choose delete.

If this doesn't help, try going to the folder where you have your corrupt project located and try deleting the sub-folder where you have your rendered files located. This will force it to re-render all the rendered files. When you try to open the project it will ask where a bunch of rendered files are; tell it to skip all.

This might work.

Also, try holding down the SHIFT key when you start Premiere until it asks you which project you want to open; this forces it to re-register all the plug-ins.

Last edited by Adam Gold; September 28th, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite