DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   anyone want to own up and admit they use premiere elements? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/501262-anyone-want-own-up-admit-they-use-premiere-elements.html)

Rob Katz October 3rd, 2011 08:26 PM

anyone want to own up and admit they use premiere elements?

anyone want to own up and admit they use premiere elements?

if so, i'm looking for some real world experiences if u care to share:

easier/better/more capable than imovie?

learning curve?

learning curve if you have some fcp experience?

if u used premiere elements did u then step up to premiere pro and if so, why?

thanks in advance to those who are kind enough to share.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Battle Vaughan October 3rd, 2011 09:19 PM

Re: anyone want to own up and admit they use premiere elements?

Don't know if it helps, but at one time my newspaper was pushing web video very hard, and wanted to teach reporters to edit simple video. The decision to use PElements was largely driven by the requirement to use the company-issued Windows laptops, but we found that the ease of use and complete-enough feature set made the program easy to teach and use for its purpose of cutting simple news pieces.

The video team had Macs with FCP, and while I played around with iMovie, I personally felt it was dumbed-down enough that it was frustrating to use. My personal opinion, of course, but I never liked iMovie, and each iteration became lamer and lamer...

I have cut quick pieces in PElements --full disclosure, stopping at version 4 and it's now up to, I think, verson 9, so I can't say that it hasn't been dumbed down also, but the workflow and edit tools are well presented and facile to use.

Rob Katz October 7th, 2011 12:57 PM

battle-

thank you for sharing your obvious experience.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Noel Lising October 7th, 2011 02:26 PM

I use elements 8, thinking of moving to 9 soon. I have not used imovie so I can't compare. I did the opposite, switched from pro to elements 4 then moved to elements 8. I only do weddings, elements is a perfect fit for what I do.

I like using elements.

You can control contrast, RGB, color correct, etc.

Need to output to Blu-Ray, DVD 4:3, DVD 16:9, MPEG, etc just one click (or 2) and your done.

My 2 cents.

Doug Bailey October 8th, 2011 05:02 PM

Hi Rob,
I tried Premiere Elements 8, bought a bunch of books and spent about 5 frustrating months struggling with crashes and freezes. This was from about April 2010. I was shooting with a 7D and using my older photographic computer.

Finally gave up in frustration and bought PP5.0 and a new 64bit HP computer. Suddenly life was amazingly better. Now have PP5.5 and shooting with an XF300 and 7D. Moving to 64 bit and Premiere Pro made a massive difference, it really was worth spending the extra $.

Best regards,
Doug.

Rob Taylor October 8th, 2011 05:36 PM

Hi Rob,

I have both Premiere CS5 and Premiere Elements. I just upgraded this week to Premiere Elements 10, which is now 64bit. Since upgrading from Premiere Elements 7 to 10, I have had no more crashes and I find it to be much more responsive than PE7.

If you have every worked with another NLE systems, you should have no problem working with PE10.

Now you might be asking if I have Premiere CS5, why would I want Premiere Elmenets 10? Premiere CS5 demands a lot of RAM and a powerful CPU. Where as Premiere Elements 10 can be run on a dual core laptop, with 4gigs of ram and a 7200rpm hard drive.

Today I edited a 45 min video, shot with a Panasonic SD1 (HDV) at 17mpbs, on a AMD Dual Core Laptop with 4 gigs of RAM. I had no problems editing or playing back any of the clips. Everything went smoothly. This is not something I could do with Premiere CS5. I could not get smooth playback.

Rob

Chris Duczynski October 8th, 2011 11:56 PM

PE is great value for money, even though PE7 was a bit of a dog.
PPro has the stability and the multi-format flexibility that you need these days. The learning curve is easy, you just need to get in there and get used to it. I find it easier than FCP, especially anything to do with titling, keying, basic colour correction and audio mixing. I-movie is simple and starightforward but PPro covers all the bases. The only negative is DVD authoring in Encore which seems a lot more complicated than in Elements.