Premiere crashes if monitor is turned off. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Premiere crashes if monitor is turned off.

Here's an odd one. Am running CS5.5 on a Mac Pro tower with a Quadro. It seems if you turn the monitor off or disconnect it in any way, Premere will crash.

I've reported this to Adobe. Quite annoying as I often switch my monitor to my PC when rendering so I can do admin. Or if the computer is doing a long task I may turn the monitor off to save power.

I'm guessing it has something to do with CUDA and the GPU being used to do the processing. Perhaps the card goes to sleep or something if it detects it isn't plugged into anything?

Anyone else noticed this?
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Premiere crashes if monitor is turned off.

I learned the hard way during an After Effects render. Set it up for an overnight render. Shut the monitors off and went to bed. Next morning turned the monitors on and AE had crashed after just a few minutes so it was sitting idle the whole night!
Lesson learned!
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Premiere crashes if monitor is turned off.

Not very good is it? I suspect a lot of us leave our edit suites running overnight from time to time when running long tasks. The old version of Premiere I used to use was fine with this and so is Final Cut. Not quite sure why modern Adobe software is different.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite