Help! Convert HD to SD with Virtual Dub but.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Help! Convert HD to SD with Virtual Dub but....

I am trying to convert a 1 hour HD edited project down to SD. For making my blu ray I have a final mpeg video for that.

However, Virtual Dub, which I use for scaling HD down to SD smoothly, only takes AVI input.

Which means that I must first render my HD 1920 by 1080 project to AVI which would absolutely be gi-normous! I don't even have enough disc space for that (400-500 gigs). Not to mention Virtual Dub might choke on something that big anyways.

Any ideas how to make a smaller file size AVI at 1920 by 1080 for Virtual Dub or simply convert HD to SD smoothly?

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and I don't have After Affects.

Thanks!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Help! Convert HD to SD with Virtual Dub but....

You have several options :

1. Use "DebugMode FrameServer" to frame serve your project into VD instead of rendering. Debugmode FrameServer Homepage
(If you're using CS3 you may need an older version of the software, not sure... Downloads - frame-server - Google Project Hosting)

2. If by "final mpeg video" you mean an mpeg2 program stream file , than you can install an input plugin that will let VD read it. fccHandler's page

3. Install AviSynth. Through an AviSynth script, VD can read any file format that is supported by the codecs in your system. If you need some help automating script generation, you can use "AvsPmod" or "VirtualDubMod".

4. Install the new, free, GoPro CineForm Studio software. http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/
If I understand correctly, this will also install the VfW CineForm codec which you can use both in Premiere and VD, so you can render a relatively small but still high quality AVI from Premiere.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Help! Convert HD to SD with Virtual Dub but....

Hi Silas,

You can install the free Lagarith Lossless AVI codec and use that as your intermediate going from Premiere to Virtual Dub. That is what I'm doing. The files are not small, but not the size you are thinking.

I use the YV12 color setting for that codec, seems to be the correct workflow from what I gather.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
I am trying to convert a 1 hour HD edited project down to SD. For making my blu ray I have a final mpeg video for that.

However, Virtual Dub, which I use for scaling HD down to SD smoothly, only takes AVI input.

Which means that I must first render my HD 1920 by 1080 project to AVI which would absolutely be gi-normous! I don't even have enough disc space for that (400-500 gigs). Not to mention Virtual Dub might choke on something that big anyways.

Any ideas how to make a smaller file size AVI at 1920 by 1080 for Virtual Dub or simply convert HD to SD smoothly?

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and I don't have After Affects.

Thanks!
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite