Software upgrade policy change that affects us all ... for CS6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 29th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Software upgrade policy change that affects us all ... for CS6

Hi everyone,

Adobe have recently announced a change of policy for future Creative Suite upgrades, When the new CS6 is announced, you will need to be on CS5.0 or 5.5 in order to qualify for upgrade pricing. Users on earlier versions will have to pay the full price of a brand new copy of the suite. I can't emphasize that enough.

Scott Kelby of Photoshop fame (and president of the the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP)) has written an open letter to Adobe which you can read here.

I'm a member of the "Adobe Creative Suite Ambassadors" and the "Adobe Video Ambassadors" groups (invitation only closed groups - nothing that I can link to) and it would be fair to say that this issue has become the source of the most animated discussion ever. Executive summary: We're not happy.

To their credit, Adobe are offering a 20% discount on upgrades at the moment to assist users in upgrading to the CS5.x series, but it's regarded as being at negligible notice and a very small window of about a month. Not the best thing in the current economic climate.

Anyway, that's a heads-up and I hope this is of some help. Clearly, this is not the same Adobe that we've come to know over the years.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Software upgrade policy change that affects us all ... for CS6

Well, can I say as a CS3/4 owner that this is BS!
I for one was waiting to upgrade when my current hardware budget was feasible.
For me this would not be possible until the last of first quarter of 2012!
So, I am left thinking about switching platforms or choking down the cost of starting from scratch!
Not at all palatable given the economic climate!!!
I will re-consider options for the New Year!
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I guess that will stop the refugees from Final Cut Pro/Mac dead in their tracks and that they will re-examine version 10, ESPECIALLY if Final Cut indicates a cheaper upgrade path from FCP7 and offers up to 12bit image processing in their suite ( if this techie description is slightly wrong, please forgive). Given I am having a small "what happens in Adobe, stays in Adobe" file export problem at the moment and have had similar issues with a previous version and not much sympathy over a bitrotted PP2 install DVD, the smaller incremental costs of upgrades are so far what has kept me aboard this particular ship. My upgrade path was Premiere 6 - Premiere Pro 1, Premiere Pro 2, Premiere Pro CS5, as I was able to afford hardware upgrades.

There may be emergency financial reasons for the new attitude. It may be arising from the arrogance of a perceived near-monopoly. Whatever, it only takes one generation of a new revolutionary software with a catchy name, eager developers and a run of user-enthusiasm to bring on feather-duster time for an industry stalwart.

Last edited by Bob Hart; November 29th, 2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correction
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Spot on Bob!
Also kudos to Scott Kelby for his open letter (referenced in the top post) by Andrew.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

When a company like Adobe makes changes it affects a lot of people. Whether it's mobile Flash support, licensing terms on software or pricing it's a big deal. I give them the benefit of the doubt that it's right for their business model. Just a thought.
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, I agree Kawika....

However the flip side of this is that we as "content providers" (who actually feed our families through doing what we do) have a "business model" as well.
After 20 years I know all to well that there are few who understand the "pertinence" of what we do let alone the reason we do it.
And, now according to Adobe what it costs us to do it...
Bear in mind that if not for people like us Adobe would ... well, you fill in the blanks depending where you are in the so called "business model"
Point is that there are some of us that depend on a "partnership of sorts" with our chosen tools and if that falls apart in mid game...well ...you figure out the rest.
There is so much more involved.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Major Player

I havent read the open letter, but I would mention that the Creative Cloud solution looks pretty compelling at the moment, and cheaper than buying the boxed upgrades.

It seems like the perfect balance of always having the latest features, with a cost that is easy to work into your business. I like it because I had the master collection anyway, and no matter how I look at it (the old 18 month upgrade cycle, or the newer 12 month one) the subscription works out significantly cheaper than upgrading the box.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Jay, I agree there is much more involved and peoples livelihood . I happen to work for a company that uses Adobes player and development technologies and it can be frustrating when they make changes that can cost millions of dollars to react to.

Personally, I started with CS5.5 so I haven't felt the pain of an upgrade. I do remember when Intuit went to a forced upgrade plan for Quickbooks meaning after two releases the old one wasn't even eligible to upgrade and my local bank would stop supporting downloads to it. There was no technical reason for it that I could think of so I assume it was to (a) not have to support older versions and (b) added revenue. It sucked from a consumer pov but it's their business and I either play or not. I chose not.

Adobe may get a similar reaction but Intuit is still around many years later which is why I'm assuming it's a decision that's right for them.

Cheers
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Major Player

I wonder if the reaction will not be the opposite than what Adobe is hoping for. For example, if somebody is still on CS3 or CS4, they might decide that they are not going to upgrade to CS5.5, and then to CS6, and will wait for CS7 or CS8, since the cost of upgrade will be the same. So instead of getting more people to upgrade, they will actually slow down their upgrade rate, and thus their revenue. I still know people who are succesfully using CS and CS2 - although in the print business, not in video!

I understand that they are counting on some new features in CS6 to dazzle people into the buying spree, but will it work, especially in this economy?

There might also be something else - Adobe might be tired of supporting 32-bit versions of applications, and want to force most of us on 64-bit.

Just random thoughts on the matter.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Equal Opportunity Offender

I'm wondering if Adobe is expecting people on CS4 and earlier to say "Full price for just an upgrade? Ouch"

followed by ...

"Hey, that small monthly subscription rate looks very appealing in comparison."

Perhaps it's all about pushing people towards the new subscription model. First they came for the creatives ...

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Maybe Adobe execs have decided they can do without the business from fringe operators like myself who only buy parts but not all of their offered suites.

A subscription model and shorter update cycles might be easier to protect against revenue bleed due to hackers.

For myself, I just do not like to be manipulated and cashcowed but that's me.

If Cineform/GoPro comes up with its own standalone editor/grading suite which wll digest my SI2K footage and export it successfully, I would probably switch. A Linux based Cineform option would be even more attracting. I represent a niche minority so Adobe won't be too scared.

The minute it becomes just too hard, they've lost me.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite