DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS5 Adding a video files audio back into the timeline after deleting or replacing it (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/503610-cs5-adding-video-files-audio-back-into-timeline-after-deleting-replacing.html)

Stephen Henderson December 15th, 2011 01:00 PM

CS5 Adding a video files audio back into the timeline after deleting or replacing it

I replaced my audio with a soundbooth extracted file to clean it up; did some editing, but now I want to switch back to the original audio. Is there any simple way of doing that? I can't seem to find it.

If I drop a video (w/ audio) onto the timeline, delete the audio track, is there a simple way of adding it back (synced with the video?)

Thanks,

-Stephen

Kevin Monahan December 15th, 2011 01:07 PM

Re: CS5 Adding a video files audio back into the timeline after deleting or replacing

Try Edit>Undo first. Also check the History panel for the step before you deleted the file.
See this page in Help: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 * Correcting mistakes

Stephen Henderson December 15th, 2011 01:18 PM

Re: CS5 Adding a video files audio back into the timeline after deleting or replacing

Right, besides Undo, this is weeks and lots of editing later.
Surely there's a way to take a video track and put in the audio track that belongs to it, right?

Bart Walczak December 16th, 2011 08:24 AM

Not automatically, no.

You can do it manually by using match frame to open each clip in the source monitor, set in and out point, and then drag audio to the timeline. Or you can try double-clicking on each clip, and see if you can drag audio back, but I'm not sure it would work, and I have no way to check it now.

It's not the only place where the old clip references are lost - using dynamic link to send footage to After Effects does it as well, not even allowing you to specify handles, which tends to be really annoying at times as well.

In the future I would recommend saving a version of the sequence without edited sound, or even better - duplicating an audio track and turning it off. That's the way I do it.

Ann Bens December 16th, 2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Henderson (Post 1703817)
I replaced my audio with a soundbooth extracted file to clean it up; did some editing, but now I want to switch back to the original audio. Is there any simple way of doing that? I can't seem to find it.

If I drop a video (w/ audio) onto the timeline, delete the audio track, is there a simple way of adding it back (synced with the video?)

Thanks,

-Stephen

Yes, right click on video part and Reveal in Project.
Double click on this clip which will open in the Source Monitor.
Make sure the inpoint and outpoint are the same as the in/outpoint of the clip in the timeline.
Overwrite.
Done

Kawika Ohumukini December 16th, 2011 12:16 PM

I usually do cycling videos with two cameras (forward and rearward) with telemetry data overlaid. What I do is put the video and audio in its own sequence then add the sequence into a parent sequence. If I need to delete the audio I do it in the parent sequence which leaves the original sequence untouched. I've usually do 5 levels of sequences something like this:

- Original clips (2 cameras + telemetry)
- Clip specific effects (color correction, exposure, masks, delete original audio and add the new one IF its full length audio)
- Merged multi-camera clips usually for PiP, all clips are still full-length at this point
- Main mix with cuts (narration, new audio, transitions, etc.).
- Output mix with final effects usually fine-tuning exposure

Cheers

John Wiley December 19th, 2011 09:13 AM

You can get is synced up faily quickly by opening the original clip in the source monitor, setting In and Out points and dragging just the audio onto the timeline. Then look at the red highlighted numbers to see how much you need to adjust it by to regain sync.

Bart Walczak December 20th, 2011 03:01 AM

John, for that method to work you also need to link inserted audio and video on the timeline together. Otherwise you won't get the numbers. There's also no need to use manual sync - you can right click on the numbers and choose "slip in sync", and Premiere will do it for you.

Personally in such cases I prefer to just use "match frame" in the middle or at the beginning of the clip, set an Inpoint there, and then an Outpoint anywhere, drag the audio and then stretch the outpoint to where it should be.

John Wiley December 20th, 2011 06:05 AM

Thanks Bart, is the slip to sync feature there in CS3 or only in newer versions?

Bart Walczak December 21st, 2011 07:55 PM

I'm not sure. It's been there for a while.