New MBP (no NVIDIA) + cs5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 6th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Major Player

New MBP (no NVIDIA) + cs5

Hi guys,
I wonder if there is a work around of having a fater render and playback.
I have the new MBP(with ATI) and using cs5 on it, I thought it would be fast, but i have 3 layers of video and 3 layers of audio plus color correction, it doesnt perform well.it is slow.

anyone here experiencing this?what is the best way to have MBP renderplayback faster?

thanks
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New MBP (no NVIDIA) + cs5

I doubt there is a solution that would satisfy you.

You can decrease the playback resolution, but I doubt it will enhance the speed to the extent that you're interested in.

You can buy an external thunderbolt enclosure and put nVidia card in there.

You can move to a PC with nVidia.

Perhaps you can wait until CS6 where perhaps maybe possibly there will be a support for OpenCL. But I wouldn't count on it very much, besides OpenCL performance will not be on par with CUDA anyway.

You can also switch to Final Cut Pro X, where your MBP will likely perform better.
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Adobe Systems

Quote:
Perhaps you can wait until CS6 where perhaps maybe possibly there will be a support for OpenCL.
Sounds like a reasonable feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Kevin, you mean you have not been working on it for past year? :gasp:

Of course, you will most likely not be able to answer :).

Anyway, request send, even though we're moving to PCs pretty soon.
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund Reboquio View Post
Hi guys,
I wonder if there is a work around of having a fater render and playback.
I have the new MBP(with ATI) and using cs5 on it, I thought it would be fast, but i have 3 layers of video and 3 layers of audio plus color correction, it doesnt perform well.it is slow.

anyone here experiencing this?what is the best way to have MBP renderplayback faster?

thanks
What video format is it? What exactly are you doing that requires 3 layers of video to playback perfectly?

I use a 2011 17" MBP and I have no problem playing 3 layers of native AVCHD in RT with two layers scaled with motion controls. They play back fine with playback set to 1/2 resolution. If I drop to 1/4 resolution it is even better. Not as smooth as with Mercury but no slouch either. The only down side is having to preview at 1/2 or 1/4 resolution. For normal editing this is fine. If you need to edit through a card and HD-SDI at full res in RT then perhaps a laptop period is not the best solution.

I should also note I bought FCPX when it first came out and it was just as sluggish on this same system. Scrubbing was a bit better in FCPX. FCPX does lock up a lot for me which is why I switched to CS5.5.

I also noticed you mentioned CS5. CS5.5 has a lot of enhancements for native playback of certain formats such as AVCHD.

I have also tried CS5.5 on bootcamp on this same machine and felt the PC version wasn't as good which I was a bit surprised about. Then again it was through bootcamp so I wouldn't really take that as a final word.

Do I wish I had mercury and CS5.5 performed better on my MBP? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? Not really, so far. I will say this however. I do miss FCP7 at times. The other day I was fed up with the slow scrubbing in CS5.5 and moved the footage to FCP7 and was shocked how smooth scrubbing was. I love the native workflow but man do I miss smooth as silk scrubbing.

I tried out Cineform with CS5.5 on my MBP and the scrubbing was super slick but I felt playback performance was actually worse then native. ProRes seems to be a bit sluggish for scrubbing in CS5.5 for whatever reason.

Oddly the format that seems to scrub like butter and perform well is native AVCHD-intra.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite