Importing MOV files in PP5.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 31st, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Importing MOV files in PP5.5

I need help, just learning this beast. I have some B roll on a DVD that I'm trying to import. It show the file name but no video. Does pp5.5 handle this file type?

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Importing MOV files in PP5.5

Depends on what codec made the .mov. if you are in Windows, and if it's Apple's HDV codec for example, you would need a 3rd-party codec to view it. HDV's edited in Final Cut Pro often use that codec.

Try opening the file in Quicktime, look at window ->show movie inspector -> format to see what codec is being used, check your system to see if you have it installed...
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Battle,
Thanks for the reply. The file is Prores 422(HQ) 1280x720 I also have Quick time pro if that would help?

Thanks
Dan
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Trustee

The recent versions of Quicktime support Prores for import on Windows machines. I'm thinking you should be able to import the file into PPro if you have a current Quicktime installed. BTW, Quicktime exports ProRes only in Mac.

I'm reaching into my memory, but I think the Prores support started with versions higher than 7.6 or thereabouts. Can you open the file with the quicktime you have installed?

(later) I went back and found a prores422 mov file, it opens fine in PPro CS4 with quicktime 7.5.5 and the QT Pro plugin. Thinking if you have a current version somehow PPro is not using the codec; I'm getting out of my depth on the inner working of how Premiere and Quicktime work with each other, but at any event this kind of problem is very often a codec problem. Perhaps reinstalling QT? BTW, as you probably know, you can update any QT7 version with the existing serial number of your Pro plugin, you don't have to buy it all over again.

PS: I'm assuming the file is on the DVD as a data file, keeping it's quicktime format. If it was made into a video dvd (.vob file), it has been converted to mpeg2 or mpeg1. There is a $20 plugin for mpeg you can get from Apple for quicktime, and you can convert .vob files in mpegStreamclip (excellent freeware). But this doesn't sound like it is the case from your description.

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; February 1st, 2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Battle,
It is a data file from another production company who edits in FC. I ended up importing in Media Encoder to an HDV codec. It would still be nice to figure out what i need to do to input a prores file in the future. Thank you for your help.
Dan
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Dan,

Only suggestion I have is to uninstall/reinstall current QuickTime. Pro not needed, free version if fine.

I say this because I have used the Atomos Ninja and Samurai units that create ProRes clips, and those clips import and play in CS5.5 on the PC without issue, and I did NOT install any extra codecs - the clips just play with whatever existing QuickTime installation that came with installing Windows 7.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Jeff,

Just to be clear, you imported Proress 422(HQ) 1280x720 codec? Not just a quick time MOV. file.

Dan
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Dan,

Clips were 1080i, but definitely ProRes, that is all that Ninja and Samurai record. Technically should make no difference if using 720p.

Jeff
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Jeff
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite