DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   How many are switching? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/504959-how-many-switching.html)

Jay Webster February 2nd, 2012 11:38 AM

How many are switching?

Just curious to see how many if any are switching away from Adobe. Given the new upgrade policy, the return of Final Cut Suite, Avid??
It's time for me to upgrade and wondering what others are doing.
Most of our stuff is corporate with a bit of commercial...just to charge up the "it depends on what you are doing" replies..

Jerry Porter February 2nd, 2012 01:02 PM

Re: How many are switching?

I'm pretty sure Adobe has rethought that policy and it's no longer a factor.

Jay Webster February 2nd, 2012 01:11 PM

I hope you are right Jerry. I didn't hear anything about that.
Thanks!

Jay West February 2nd, 2012 01:57 PM

Here's a copy of Adobe's little "back-track" with some anlalysis and commentary by the blogger:

Adobe Clarifies Upgrade Policy for CS6 | Triple Exposure

As this guy reads Adobe, it is resuming -- through the end of this year, at least, the policy of allowing upgrade pricing up to three versions back.

This may or may not be persuasive for some folks.

What gives me pause is that Adobe's "cloud" and "subscription" plans look to me like moving back to an old model of software "leasing." I'm wondering if Adobe will soon be insisting on a $50/month fee to use their software?

Jim Hall February 2nd, 2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Porter (Post 1712924)
I'm pretty sure Adobe has rethought that policy and it's no longer a factor.

Oh, it's still a factor. Just because they are allowing older versions to upgrade now, what about next year. Don't like the idea one bit being forced to upgrade.

Jay Webster February 6th, 2012 07:40 PM

Thanks for the post Jay,
And, Jim still has a point to consider too!
As an (ex-Avid...disgruntled with tech support guy...:>)...makes you wonder if Avid turns out to be the "good guy" in the long run???
Still figuring my next move...???:

Jerry Porter February 9th, 2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay West (Post 1712931)

What gives me pause is that Adobe's "cloud" and "subscription" plans look to me like moving back to an old model of software "leasing." I'm wondering if Adobe will soon be insisting on a $50/month fee to use their software?

This gives me pause as well, that and you can't download older versions (not even on gen back) of software you have purchased and if something goes wrong you must buy a new version. That really pissed me off about my copy of Audition, as the new 5.5 version I HATE!!!

Kevin Monahan February 13th, 2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay West (Post 1712931)

It will be an option to subscribe to the Creative Cloud. We're not going to twist your arm into subscribing to it. You'll be able to purchase your Production Premium package as you have in the past, so do not fret.

That being said, you may want to take part in the Creative Cloud because of the additional benefits, applications, services and a creative community you would not normally have access to.

Jay Webster February 13th, 2012 04:28 PM

"you may want to take part in the Creative Cloud because of the additional benefits, applications, services"

Kevin,
Thanks very much for replying here! The more informed, the better.
What do these "applications & services" entail?
Got me thinking again...thanks....I think!! :>)

Kevin Monahan February 14th, 2012 12:08 PM

Here is the public facing info: Adobe Creative Cloud
More is to come!

Jay Webster February 14th, 2012 03:44 PM

Kevin,
Thanks yet again for the latest post.
Comforting to know that Adobe is really listening.
Off to Chicago on Thursday and will explore options on return.
Thanks again...

Denis Danatzko February 15th, 2012 12:41 PM

I just checked the link posted by Kevin, (Thank you for that), and noticed that OnLocation (OL) is not listed among the apps available in CS6 through Adobe cloud services, though other apps are, e.g. Edge, Debut, Kuler, and Muse. I'm wondering why OL is left out.

Is it an indication that OL simply isn't well-accommodated via the cloud in terms of speed? Is it because on-site shoots aren't likely to have fast enough connections to the internet? Or is it a hint that OL is to be sold as a standalone app, or maybe even have support dropped altogether? (I thought the cloud was intended to allow access from places other than our desktops and workstations, i.e. really working "on-location").

I'm certainly not intimate with the details of using the cloud, but I'm on the fence about what to do.
I've been using Adobe on Win XP for 6 yrs, like the suite very much, have not yet upgraded to CS5.5, (hopeful of doing that soon), and don't like the prospect of switching (particularly to another brand of computer), but I'm not at all comfortable with the cloud in general. I see it as me - and my work - being even more captive to the whims and foibles of my ISP, e.g. higher volume of traffic (perhaps leading to more/higher charges from my ISP), being subject to weather-related outages and maybe unable to work on a project, etc., as well as being subject to "uptime" of the Adobe network and cloud resources, (something that cannot be guaranteed). These may seem like near-doomsday scenarios, but in my state we were greatly impacted by weather this past year...heavy rains, floods, and the heavy, wet Halloween snowfall led to a stretch of 5 days without power or internet, hence 5 days I could not work. A backup generator would solve one problem, but only satellite internet would solve the other.

Personally, I think the cloud is one of those ideas that's good in theory, but not very well-thought-out for practical use. I also can't shake the sense that, at least on face value, it seems a bit greedy, i.e. we're expected to pay for access to future features/products when we don't know what those features/products might be? To reiterate, I like Adobe products, but this seems like a way to garner a larger stream of sustained income based on promises for which, if unfulfilled, subscribers would have no remedy. At least no remedy that I'm aware of.

Pardon my cynicism, but using cloud services seems best suited for special circumstances. I see it as being relatively expensive and of little benefit to very small houses, and particularly so for OMBs.

Kevin Monahan February 15th, 2012 12:53 PM

Hi Denis,
While I can't comment on the future of certain products like OnLocation, I can answer a few questions about the Creative Cloud.

I understand your concern about the potential shortcomings of working with the cloud. If you are wondering how it all will work, you may want to wait and see how others are working with it. I'm sure you'll hear all about in the coming months on this forum.

Stay tuned.

Kevin Monahan February 15th, 2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Webster (Post 1715176)
Kevin,
Thanks yet again for the latest post.
Comforting to know that Adobe is really listening.
Off to Chicago on Thursday and will explore options on return.
Thanks again...

Cool Jay, let us know.